24 February 1956|
Bushenyi District, Uganda
|Died||21 April 2016
Egyptian Military Academy
(Strategic Military Studies)
Armed Forces Command and Staff College, Jaji
(Senior Command and Staff Course)
National Defence College, Kenya
(National Strategic Studies Course)
|Known for||Military matters|
Levi Karuhanga (24 February 1956 – 21 April 2016) was a major general in Uganda. He was the Chairman of the UPDF General Court Martial, one of the highest military courts in the Uganda People's Defence Force (UPDF). He was appointed to that position in June 2014 by Yoweri Museveni, the commander in chief of the UPDF and the president of Uganda. He replaced Moses Ddiba Ssentongo whose one-year tenure at the court had expired. Before that, Karuhanga served as the Commander of the Reserve Force in the UPDF.
Karuhanga was born in Bushenyi District in the Western Region of Uganda on 24 February 1956. He studied at Nyamitoma, Bweranyangi, and Mwengura Primary Schools. He then joined Mbarara High School, from where he moved to Nairobi, Kenya, where he graduated with a diploma in international studies.
He joined the Ugandan Bush War around 1981 in Luweero District. His recruitment number was RO/057, the 57th recruit of the then new rebel force. He fought throughout the war until the National Resistance Army captured power in 1986. Over the past 25 years, he has undergone military training including the following courses:
- Strategic Military Studies at the Egyptian Military Academy in Cairo
- Military Course at the China War College
- Military Course at the Armed Forces Command and Staff College, Jaji, Nigeria
- National Strategic Studies course from National Defence College, Kenya, from July 2006 until June 2007.
- Other military courses at military schools in Kenya and Uganda.
Karuhanga served in a number of assignments in the UPDF, including in the following positions:
- brigade commander in the UPDF 4th Division, between 1990 and 1992
- member of the UPDF Contingent and second in command of United Nations forces in Liberia, in 1994
- deputy commander of the 3rd UPDF Division, in 1998
- 3rd Division commanding officer in 2001
- First Division commanding officer from 2005 until 2007
- In 2007, Karuhanga was appointed as the first commander of the African Union Mission to Somalia, serving in that capacity until 2008.
- In 2010, he was appointed commanding officer of the UPDF Reserve Force, serving there until June 2014, when he was given his current assignment.
- Nankya, Sylvia (23 June 2014). "Major General Levi Karuhanga to Head General Court Martial". Uganda Radio Network (URN). Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- NDCK. "National Defence College, Kenya: Alumni 2006". National Defence College, Kenya. Retrieved 2 November 2014.
- Kato, Joshua (4 April 2007). "Geneneral Karuhanga, Quiet But Thorough". New Vision. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- Online, Reporter (23 June 2014). "Major General Levi Karuhanga Is New Court-Martial Boss". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- Kiggundu, Edris (5 July 2009). "Angry Museveni overhauls UPDF's Somalia command". The Observer (Uganda). Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- Ondoga, Ayiga (10 December 2013). "Integrity Is Key In The Army - Karuhanga". New Vision. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- Monitor Reporter (22 April 2016). "Military court boss dead". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 22 April 2016.
- Okello, Dickens H. (22 April 2016). "Gen Levi Karuhanga Dies". ChimpReports. Retrieved 22 April 2016.
|Commander of AMISOM
14 February 2007 – 3 March 2008
Major General Francis Okello