Levi Underwood was born in Hardwick, Vermont on December 24, 1821. He studied law with Luke Poland and became an attorney in Burlington. Underwood was also involved in several local businesses and banks.
Originally a Free Soil Democrat, Underwood became a Republican when the party was organized and served as Chairman of Vermont's first state Republican convention in 1856. He also served as a Delegate to the first Republican national convention later the same year.
Death and burial
- One Thousand Men, published by Vermont Historical Society, 1915, page 209
- The Vermont Historical Gazetteer, edited by Abby Maria Hemenway, Volume 1, 1867, page 510
- Vermont: The Green Mountain State, by Walter Hill Crockett, Volume 3, 1921, page 447
- Proceedings of the First Three Republican National Conventions of 1856, 1860 and 1864, published by Charles W. Johnson, Minneapolis, 1893, page 24
- Newspaper article, Delegates to Chicago and Charleston: Vermont Republican State Convention, New York Times, April 5, 1860
- Gazetteer and Business Directory of Chittenden County, Vermont, for 1882–83, compiled by Hamilton Child, 1882, page 99
- Proceedings of the Supreme Council of Sovereign Grand Inspectors General of the Thirty-third and Last Degree of the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite, published by Andrew H. Kellogg, New York, 1902, pages 203 to 204
- The Massachusetts Register for the Year 1853, published be George Adams, Boston, page 301
- General Election Results, 1813–2011, published by Vermont Secretary of State, State Archives and Records Administration, 2011, page 10
- Lucius E. Chittenden entry, National Eyclopaedia of American Biography, published by James T. White, new York, Volume 13, 1906, page 553
- A Report of the Debates and Proceedings in the Secret Sessions of the Conference Convention, by Lucius Eugene Chittenden, 1864, page 465
- The Bankers Magazine for 1864-65, edited by I. Smith Homans, 1865, page 853
- Annual report on the railroads of New York, published by The Argus Company, Albany, 1870, page 490
- Proceedings of the National Commercial Convention, published by the convention, 1872, page 48
- The Underwood Families of America, by Howard James Banker, Volume 1, 1913, pages 76 to 77
- Recent Deaths column, The American Lawyer, May, 1902, page 224
- Levi Underwood necrology entry, Dartmouth College Necrology 1901–1902, 1902, page 47
- Catalogue of the Officers of Government and Instruction, the Alumni and other Graduates of the University of Vermont, page 115
- *Underwood, Lucien Marcus (1913). The Underwood Families of America. 1. Lancaster, PA: New Era Printing Company. pp. 75–76.
|Lieutenant Governor of Vermont