Levi Yitzchok of Berditchev
Levi Yitzchok of Berditchev (1740–1809 in Berdychiv), also known as the Berdichever, was a Hasidic leader. He was the rabbi of Ryczywół, Żelechów, Pinsk and Berdychiv, for which he is best known. He was one of the main disciples of the Maggid of Mezritch, and of his disciple Rabbi Shmelke of Nikolsburg, whom he succeeded as rabbi of Ryczywół.
Reb Levi Yitzchok was known as the "defense attorney" for the Jewish people, because it was believed that he could intercede on their behalf before God. Known for his compassion for every Jew, he was therefore one of the most beloved leaders of Eastern European Jewry. He authored the Hasidic classic Kedushas Levi, which is a commentary on many Jewish religious books and laws, and is arranged according to the weekly Torah portion. He is considered by some to be the founder of Hasidism in central Poland.
Rabbi Levi Yitzchok composed some popular Hasidic religious folk songs, including A Dude'le and "The Kaddish of Rebbe Levi Yitzchok (A din Toyre mit Gott)." The Yiddish prayer "God of Abraham" which many Jewish women recite at the close of the Sabbath is erroneously attributed to him.
He had three sons. The oldest one, Maier, died at a young age. The second one, Israel, succeeded his father as leader of the Hasidic movement. One of Rabbi Levi Yitzchok's grandsons married the daughter of Dovber Schneuri, the Second of the Chabad Rebbe's and the first Chabad Rebbe to live in Lubavitch.
Books about Levi Yitzchok of Berditchev
- Loving and Beloved: Tales of Rabbi Levi Yitzhak of Berdichev, Defender of Israel (Menorah Books, 2016) ISBN 9781592644735
- "Icchak ben Meir Lewi". Dia-pozytyw through Wayback Machine. Archived from the original on June 11, 2010. Retrieved 10 September 2014.
- תולדות קדושת לוי, פרק ב. HebrewBooks.org (in Hebrew). Retrieved 7 March 2013.
- קדושת לוי. HebrewBooks.org (in Hebrew). Retrieved 7 March 2013.
- Szczepan Wojnarska, Anna Maria. "BEN MEIR LEVI OF BERDICHEV ISAAC". Retrieved 10 September 2014.
- תולדות קדושת לוי, פרק ד. HebrewBooks.org (in Hebrew). Retrieved 7 March 2013.
- תולדות קדושת לוי, פרק ח. HebrewBooks.org (in Hebrew). Retrieved 7 March 2013.
- R. Levi Yitzchak of Berditchev
- "The Berdichever Rabbi"
- Commemorative coin from Levi Yitzchok of Berdychiv, from recently discovered seal
|This Hasidic Judaism article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about a Ukrainian rabbi is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|