Evidence of early human habitation in the parish includes a tumulus, probably Anglo-Saxon, on a 350 feet (110 m) high hill west of the village. The village's place-name, recorded as Hlæwe in 984, means "tumulus" in Old English.
Until the 19th century Lew was a township in the parish of Bampton. It became a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1857, called Bampton Lew. The parish was united with Bampton in 1917, and since 1976 has formed part of the benefice of Bampton with Clanfield.
Lew was made a separate civil parish in 1866.
- "Area selected: West Oxfordshire (Non-Metropolitan District)". Neighbourhood Statistics: Full Dataset View. Office for National Statistics. Archived from the original on 22 June 2011. Retrieved 29 March 2010.
- Blair 1977, pp. 45–46 harvnb error: no target: CITEREFBlair1977 (help), cited in Crossley & Currie 1996, pp. 90–93
- Mills & Room 2003[page needed]
- Crossley & Currie 1996, pp. 6–8
- Crossley & Currie 1996, pp. 97–98
- Archbishops' Council. "Bampton Lew Holy Trinity". A Church Near You. Church of England. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016.
- "unit history of Lew". A Vision of Britain Through Time. University of Portsmouth. 2009. Archived from the original on 24 December 2012. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- Sherwood & Pevsner 1974, pp. 682–683.
- Blair, John (1994). Anglo-Saxon Oxfordshire. Stroud: Alan Sutton Publishing for Oxfordshire Books. ISBN 9-780750-901475.
- Crossley, Alan; Currie, CRJ (eds.); Baggs, AP; Chance, Eleanor; Colvin, Christina; Day, CJ; Selwyn, Nesta; Townley, Simon C (1996). A History of the County of Oxford. Victoria County History. 13: Bampton Hundred (Part One). London: Oxford University Press for the Institute of Historical Research. pp. 90–99. ISBN 978-0-19722-790-9.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- Ekwall, Eilert (1960) . Concise Oxford Dictionary of English Place-Names (4th ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0198691033.
- Mills, AD; Room, D (2003). A Dictionary of British Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Lew. ISBN 0-19-852758-6.
- Sherwood, Jennifer; Pevsner, Nikolaus (1974). Oxfordshire. The Buildings of England. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books. pp. 682–683. ISBN 0-14-071045-0.
Media related to Lew at Wikimedia Commons