Rallus pectoralis Temminck, 1831
Lewin's rail (Lewinia pectoralis) is a species of bird in the family Rallidae. It is found in Australia, Wallacea, and New Guinea. Lewin's rail is also known as the water rail, Lewin's water rail, Lewin's grind rail, slate-breasted rail, slate-breasted water rail, pectoral rail, pectoral water rail, short-toed rail and short-toed water rail. Its natural habitat is subtropical or tropical moist lowland forests.
Eight subspecies have been described:
- New Guinea
- L. p. mayri (Hartert, 1930) – Arfak Mountains
- L. p. captus (Mayr & Gilliard, 1951) - central New Guinea
- L. p. insulsus (Greenway, 1935) - Herzog Mountains
- L. p. alberti (Rothschild & Hartert, 1907) - mountains of south-eastern New Guinea
- L. p. clelandi (Mathews, 1911) – south-western Australia (extinct)
- L. p. pectoralis (Temminck, 1831) – eastern and south-eastern Australia
- L. p. brachipus (Swainson, 1838) – Tasmania
Lewin's rails are not listed as threatened on the Australian Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999. However, their conservation status varies from state to state within Australia. For example:
The Lewin's rail is listed as threatened on the Victorian Flora and Fauna Guarantee Act (1988). Under this Act, an Action Statement for the recovery and future management of this species has not yet been prepared. It is also notable that the Lewin's rail is listed by an earlier scientific name (Dryolimnas pectoralis) under this Act.
A subspecies of Lewin's rail, listed as Lewin's water rail (Rallus pectoralis clelandi), is on Western Australia's Wildlife Conservation (Specially Protected Fauna) Notice 2008 Schedule 2 — Fauna presumed to be extinct, under the WA Wildlife Conservation Act 1950.
Along Kedron Brook in Brisbane, the bird is described as rare and threatened. The Brisbane Airport's construction of a second runway initially included 38 hectares of wetlands to be set aside for habitat. This was later expanded to 49 hectares to provide a more appropriate vegetation corridor.
Call recorded at Samsonvale Cemetery, SE Queensland
Problems playing this file? See media help.
- BirdLife International (2012). "Lewinia pectoralis". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2013.2. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- Lewin's Rail Details
- "Lewin's Rail". Internet Bird Collection (HBW 3, p.171). Lynx Editions. Retrieved 2012-03-08.
- Department of Sustainability and Environment, Victoria Archived 2005-07-18 at the Wayback Machine.
- Department of Sustainability and Environment, Victoria Archived 2006-09-11 at the Wayback Machine.
- Victorian Department of Sustainability and Environment (2007). Advisory List of Threatened Vertebrate Fauna in Victoria - 2007. East Melbourne, Victoria: Department of Sustainability and Environment. p. 15. ISBN 978-1-74208-039-0.
- Tony Moore (15 February 2012). "Work on second Brisbane Airport runway to begin this year". Brisbane Times. Fairfax Media. Retrieved 17 February 2012.
- Media related to Lewinia pectoralis at Wikimedia Commons
|Wikispecies has information related to Lewinia pectoralis|