Lewis-Palmer High School
|Lewis-Palmer High School|
|1300 Higby Road
|Motto||"Expect the Best"|
|School district||Lewis-Palmer 38|
|Color(s)||Black and orange|
|Athletics conference||Pikes Peak Athletic Conference|
Lewis-Palmer is ranked as one of Colorado's best public high schools. John J. Irwin Award winner as well as numerous other nationally ranked awards, Lewis-Palmer is recognized as a nationally excelling school. US News Top 500 High School
The school reached national attention when it refused to give its 2006 valedictorian, Erica Corder, her diploma after she mentioned Jesus Christ in her commencement speech. Corder pursued legal action against the school district. The court ruled against Corder by declaring that the graduation was a school sponsored event and therefore the school was under the obligation to uphold the constitutional separation between church and state. The court also ruled that the school's policy for graduation speeches was too vague, and thus unconstitutional due to the "chilling effect" that is created by overly broad rules.
- Josh Scott, professional basketball player and former University of Colorado Basketball star.
- Bobby Burling, professional MLS player, attended Lewis-Palmer High School
- Pat Garrity, basketball player who played ten years in the NBA
- Kim Lyons, personal trainer, appeared on The Biggest Loser
- Jennifer Sipes, actress and model, born in Monument, attended Lewis-Palmer High School
- FOXNews.com - Colorado Student Files Lawsuit Over Commencement Speech That Mentioned Jesus
- Corder v Lewis Palmer
- "Bobby Burling". MLS Soccer. Retrieved February 2, 2013.
- "Patrick Joseph Garrity (Pat)". Basketball-Reference.com. Retrieved February 2, 2013.
- "Jennifer Sipes Video". OV Guide. Retrieved February 2, 2013.
|This Colorado school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|