Lewis Brown (rugby league)
3 October 1986|
Christchurch, New Zealand
|Height||179 cm (5 ft 10 in)|
|Weight||96 kg (15 st 2 lb)|
|Position||Second-row, Centre, Hooker|
As of 19 February 2018
Lewis Brown (born 3 October 1986) is a New Zealand professional rugby league footballer of the 2000s and 2010s, who plays for the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles in the National Rugby League. He previously played for the New Zealand Warriors and Penrith Panthers. He primarily plays at second-row, but can also fill in at centre, and hooker.
Brown was born in Christchurch, New Zealand.
Brown who is of Maori Descent started his rugby league career playing for the Riccarton Knights in Christchurch and attending Papanui High School. He played junior representative football for Canterbury and was a New Zealand under-16 representative. He debuted for the Canterbury Bulls in the 2005 Bartercard Cup.
He later moved to join Balmain-Ryde and the Wests Tigers, playing for their New South Wales Cup side. While he was a feature in the Premier League side, he could not break into the first grade side due to the presence of Robbie Farah and John Morris.
In 2008 the Warriors announced that they had secured Brown for the 2009 season on a one-year deal, with an option for another year. He joined the Warriors in October 2008 but arrived with a major foot injury, which hampered his pre-season. He made his National Rugby League debut for the Warriors on 3 May 2009, playing against the St George Illawarra Dragons. In 2010 he signed an extended contract that kept him at the Warriors until 2012.
Lewis Brown made his international debut for the New Zealand Kiwis in the 2011 ANZAC Test against Australia. He was originally named on an extended bench, and made his debut after Greg Eastwood withdrew through injury. He also set up Kiwis' debutant winger Matt Duffie for a try in the 36th minute of the game. Made a tremendous impact within minutes of taking the field during the first half of the Australia V. New Zealand Four Nations game, scoring an impressive try as a result of a Greg Inglis knock on.
- "Statistics at rugbyleagueproject.org". rugbyleagueproject.org. 31 December 2017. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- Alderson, Andrew (15 May 2011). "NRL: Part time to ever present". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 14 October 2011.
- Brown, Michael (10 August 2008). "League: Warriors sign rookie hooker as Fien eyes move to England". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 14 October 2011.
- Bartercard Cup debuts The Press, 13 April 2005
- "New Warrior leaps to aid of snatch-and-run victim". The Sunday Star-Times. 24 January 2009. Retrieved 14 October 2011.
- 2007 Premier League Season Archived 2008-02-11 at the Wayback Machine. West Tigers Official Site
- Brown Extends Stay With Vodafone Warriors To 2012 Voxy.co.nz, 10 April 2010
- AP (5 October 2010). "New faces join Kiwis Four Nations squad". Wide World of Sports. Archived from the original on 6 October 2010. Retrieved 10 June 2012.
- "League: Maori draw with England". The New Zealand Herald. 16 October 2010. Retrieved 14 October 2011.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-04-27. Retrieved 2011-06-16.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lewis Brown (rugby league).|