Lewis Campbell (classicist)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Campbell was educated at Edinburgh Academy, the University of Glasgow, Trinity College, Oxford and Balliol College, Oxford. He was fellow and tutor of Queen's College, Oxford (1855–1858), vicar of Milford, Hampshire (1858–1863), and professor of Greek at the University of St Andrews (1863–1894). In 1894, he was elected an honorary fellow of Balliol College, Oxford. From 1894 to 1896 he gave the Gifford Lectures, which were published in 1898.
- Sophocles Greek text with English notes in two volumes (2nd ed., 1879)
- The Sophistes and Politicus of Plato Greek text with English notes (1867)
- Sophocles, The Seven Plays in English Verse (1883)
- The Theaetetus of Plato Greek text with English notes (2nd ed., 1883)
- Republic, the Greek text, in three volumes (with Benjamin Jowett, 1894)
- Life and Letters of Benjamin Jowett in two volumes (with Evelyn Abbott, 1897)
- Letters of B. Jowett (1899)
- Life of James Clerk Maxwell, with William Garnett, 1st ed., 1882, (new ed. revised and abridged, 1884)
- A Guide to Greek Tragedy for English Readers (1891)
- Religion in Greek Literature (1898) Gifford Lectures
- On the Nationalisation of the Old English Universities (1901)
- Verse translations of the plays of Aeschylus (1890)
- Sophocles (1896)
- Plato's Republic Oxford lectures (1902)
- Tragic Drama in Aeschylus, Sophocles and Shakespeare (1904)
- Paralipomena Sophoclea (1907).
Sir W.D. Ross had recognized the importance of stylometric methods in Plato chronology which Campbell had introduced in his editions of the Sophistes and Politicus of 1869. Recent scholars such as Charles H. Kahn and Diskin Clay, have each advanced the ordering and grouping of Plato's dialogues according to the same method.
- "Campbell, Rev. Lewis". Who's Who: 289–290. 1908.
- Lewis Campbell (1914). Memorials in Verse and Prose of Lewis Campbell. private circulation. p. 454.
- Smith, Henry J. S. (13 January 1883). "Review of Life of James Clerk Maxwell by L. Campbell and W. Garnett". The Academy. 23 (558): 19–20.
- Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. .
- Works written by or about Lewis Campbell at Wikisource
- Lewis Campbell biographical notes and Lectures available from the Gifford Lectures website
- Works by Lewis Campbell at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about Lewis Campbell at Internet Archive
- Works by Lewis Campbell at LibriVox (public domain audiobooks)
|This biography of a Scottish academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography about a translator from the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|