Lewis Silkin LLP
|No. of offices||3|
|No. of lawyers||184|
|No. of employees||315 (total staff)|
|Key people||Ian Jeffery
|Company type||Limited Liability Partnership|
Lewis Silkin LLP is a law firm with offices in London, Oxford and Cardiff. The firm has 63 partners, 135 lawyers and total staff of over 300 people. Since 2008, the firm has been listed in the Sunday Times Best Companies to work for listings and in 2014 ranked number 54. Ian Jeffery has been Managing Partner since 2005.
The firm was established in 1950 in Rye Lane, Peckham as Lewis Silkin and Partners by John Silkin, son of the firm's founding father Lewis Silkin. Lewis himself joined the practice full-time in the 1950s after leaving the House of Commons and relinquishing some parliamentary duties he had undertaken on first becoming a peer. Lewis then opened an office in Westminster to complement the existing office in Peckham. The Peckham office was initially a general practice, providing what we know today as 'high street' services. The Westminster office specialised in planning law and development permits. During his time in Government and as Minister of Town and Country Planning, Lewis Silkin had been known as the 'architect' of our town and country planning policies.
The firm today
Based in London, Oxford and Cardiff, the firm's practice covers:
- Employment, Reward and Immigration;
- Media, Brands and Technology;
- Real Estate and Development; and,
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
The firm acts for many global employers advising them on employment, reward and immigration issues.
The firm has a long history of working with clients in the creative industries (advertising, marketing, media). It provides these clients with a range of legal services including advice on mergers and acquisitions, reputation management and intellectual property advice.
The firm has established practices in urban regeneration and mixed-use development. The firm's social housing practice has been "highly regarded" by external commentators such as Legal 500 and Chambers for more than two decades. The firm's related real estate and development practices are similarly highly regarded and ranked by the Legal 500 and Chambers.
The firm is a member of two 'best of breed' international networks. Ius Laboris is a global alliance of employment law specialist firms and The Global Advertising Lawyers Alliance comprises experts internationally in that field.
Lewis Silkin LLP supports a number of charities including Helen and Douglas House, a hospice for terminally ill children and young adults. The firm has taken part in several fundraising events over the years, including the 3 Peaks Challenge in 2011, a 30-hour non-stop "Spinathon" and staging a pantomime in 2012. In 2013, the firm took part in a charity shop takeover for Ty Hafan and cycle to Amsterdam for Helen and Douglas House.
In 2014, the firm organised an "alternative" triathlon to raise money for Oxford Homeless Pathways.
In 2014, the firm was awarded Best Social Mobility Program at the Managing Partners Forum awards.
- Green, Ruth (12 November 2012). "Lewis Silkin to open Cardiff base with Welsh government backing | News". The Lawyer. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- "Lewis Silkin named one of Britain's best employers for sixth year running". Lewis Silkin. 3 March 2014.
- "Lewis Silkin named one of Britain's best employers for fifth year running". Lewis Silkin. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "100 Best Companies | The Sunday Times". Features.thesundaytimes.co.uk. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "Lewis Silkin's history". Lewis Silkin. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "Employment International". Lewis Silkin. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "Editorial – Chambers and Partners – Employment: London". Chambers and Partners. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "True Picture – Lewis Silkin LLP". Chambersstudent.co.uk. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "The Legal 500 United Kingdom 2012 > London > Real estate > Social housing: local authorities and registered providers recommended Law firms, Lawyers". Legal500.com. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "Global Human resources lawyers". Ius Laboris. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "GALA: Global Advertising Lawyers Alliance". Gala-marketlaw.com. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- Helen & Douglas House (23 November 2012). "Lewis Silkin LLP is fundraising for Helen & Douglas House". Justgiving.com. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- "List of Accredited Living Wage Employers". Living wage. 10 November 2012. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- Chadderton, Sam (13 November 2012). "11KBW, Clifford Chance and Herbert Smith Freehills lead way on London Living Wage | News". The Lawyer. Retrieved 30 November 2012.