Lewis Singwah Tan
4 February 1987
Manchester, England, UK
|Occupation||Actor, stuntman, model|
Lewis Singwah Tan (born February 4, 1987) is a British actor, model and martial artist. Born to a Singaporean father and an English mother. He is known for his roles as Zhou Cheng in Netflix's Iron Fist, Gaius Chau in the AMC series Into the Badlands, Lu Xin Lee in the Netflix's Wu Assassins and Shatterstar in Deadpool 2 (2018).
Lewis Singwah Tan was born in Manchester, England, and was raised primarily in Los Angeles, living also in France, Thailand, Spain, and China. Tan identifies as half-Asian, half-British. His father, Philip Tan, is a martial artist, actor, and stunt coordinator of Chinese descent from Singapore. His mother is British and a retired fashion model from the UK. His family moved to Los Angeles when his father was hired as a fight coordinator for Tim Burton's 1989 film Batman. He is the eldest of four brothers. His younger brother, Sam Tan, is also an actor. His youngest brother, Evan Tan, is a photographer based in LA whose work has been featured on the art for songs from artists such as Kali Uchis and Zack Villere. Tan's father trained him in martial arts from a young age. He also began training in theatre as a young teen, leading many plays. He studied performing arts with coach John Kirby.
Tan studies under acting coach John Kirby, performing plays from Tennessee Williams to John Patrick Shanley. Tan performs his own stunts, using multiple styles including Muay Thai, Kung Fu, Ju-Jitsu and Japanese katana swordplay.
Tan appeared in small supporting roles in other major pictures such as Hangover 3 and Olympus Has Fallen. He began working on major television shows such as CSI: Miami, CSI: NY, NCIS: Los Angeles, Hawaii 5-0, 24, Rush Hour and Mortal Kombat X: Generations.
In 2016, Tan was cast in a recurring role in the first season of the Netflix television series Iron Fist. He starred in the role of Zhou Cheng. In the same year, Tan was cast in the action film Den of Thieves starring Gerard Butler.
In 2018, Tan starred as Shatterstar in the superhero film Deadpool 2. In the same year, it was announced that Tan was cast in the series regular role of Lu Xin Lee on the Netflix crime drama series, Wu Assassins.
|2006||The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift||Stunts|
|Mini's First Time||Skatepunk No. 2|
|2007||Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End||Stunts|
|2013||Olympus Has Fallen||Korean Commando||Stunts|
|The Hangover Part III||Prison Guard||Stunts|
|2018||Den of Thieves||Secret Service Lobby Guard #1|
|Deadpool 2||Gaveedra-Seven / Shatterstar|
|2006||CSI: NY||Kym Tanaka|
|2007||Day Break||Jimmy Yan||Stunt double|
|2010||CSI: Miami||Aiko Okanagi|
|2011||NCIS: Los Angeles||Hiro Yakuza|
|2013||The Girlfriend||Bruce Wayne / Batman||Short|
|2014||10,000 Days||Jiro Farnwell||Television film|
|2015||Mortal Kombat X: Generations||Kung Jin|
|Hawaii Five-0||Luke Nakano|
|2016||Mortal Kombat: Legacy||Kung Jin|
|2017||Iron Fist||Zhou Cheng||Episode: "The Blessing of Many Fractures"|
|2018–2019||Into the Badlands||Gaius Chau||Recurring role|
|2019||Wu Assassins||Lu Xin Lee||Main cast|
- Duan, Virginia (3 September 2019). "The Underlying Truth: An Interview with Lewis Tan". Mochi. Retrieved 19 October 2019.
- Delgado, Sara (18 May 2018). "Interview - Lewis Tan". Schon Magazine. Retrieved 6 April 2019.
- Slaughter, Melissa (7 March 2018). "Interview: Actor Lewis Tan". Hapamag. Retrieved 6 April 2019.
- Goulakos, Katina; Williams, Michelle. "Lewis Tan". Imagista. Retrieved 6 April 2019.
- Bonnet, Alexandra (7 August 2019). "Lewis Tan". Vulkan Magazine. Retrieved 7 August 2019.
- Francisco, Eric (20 April 2018). "The Man Who Was Almost Iron Fist Trained with Wonder Woman". Inverse. Retrieved 6 April 2019.
- Wong, Jeff (22 October 2016). "Iron Fist on Netflix Cast for Villanous Zhou Cheng". Geekdriven. Retrieved 26 September 2017.
- "Biography". Retrieved 27 October 2017.
- Petski, Denise (26 September 2017). "'Into The Badlands': Sherman Augustus, Babou Ceesay & Ella Rae-Smith Join Season 3 As Series Regulars". Deadline. Retrieved 26 September 2017.
- Schmidt, Joseph (28 March 2018). "'Deadpool 2': Lewis Tan of 'Iron Fist' Playing Shatterstar". Comicbook. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- Petski, Denise (20 July 2018). "'Wu Assassins': Katheryn Winnick, Lewis Tan, Tommy Flanagan & Tzi Ma Join Netflix Martial Arts Drama". Deadline. Retrieved 3 September 2018.
- Ramos, Dino-Ray (26 August 2019). "Lewis Tan, Jessica McNamee and Josh Lawson Join 'Mortal Kombat' At New Line". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 27 August 2019.