Lewis Vaughan Lodge
|Full name||Lewis Vaughan Lodge|
|Date of birth||21 December 1872|
|Place of birth||Newton Aycliffe, County Durham, England|
|Date of death||21 October 1916(aged 43)|
|Place of death||Burbage, Derbyshire, England|
|Playing position||Full back|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
Lodge, a left- or right-back, made his England debut in a win over Wales in 1894. He played Wales again in 1895 as well as an international against Scotland, and in 1896 he was a member of the English side which beat Ireland, before earning his fifth and final cap in a loss to Scotland later that year. The defender may or may not have captained England in their 1896 encounter with Ireland; primary sources give the captaincy to either Gilbert Smith, George Raikes or Lodge.
At club level, Lodge played for both Cambridge University and the Corinthians. In 1896, Small Heath F.C. persuaded him to play for them; to their disappointment, teaching commitments at Harris Hill School in Newbury restricted him to a single appearance, on 29 February 1896 in a 2–1 defeat of Blackburn Rovers in the First Division of the Football League. Described as "a powerfully-built back of the old school brigade", he was reliable both at kicking the ball and at tackling.
Lodge was born in Aycliffe, near Darlington, in County Durham, and was educated at Durham School. His brother-in-law, Charlie Adamson, played rugby for the British and Irish Lions and also played Minor Counties cricket. Lodge died in Burbage, Derbyshire, aged 43, in unexplained circumstances, being found drowned in a pool.
- "England Player Profile: Lewis Lodge". England FC. Retrieved 31 December 2008.
- "England's Captains by Match 1872–1914". England Football Online. Retrieved 2008-12-31.
- Matthews, Tony (1995). Birmingham City: A Complete Record. Derby: Breedon Books. pp. 107, 143. ISBN 978-1-85983-010-9.
- Matthews, Complete Record, p. 143.
- "First-Class Matches played by Lewis Lodge". CricketArchive. Retrieved 31 December 2008.
- "Minor Counties Championship Matches played by Lewis Lodge". CricketArchive. Retrieved 31 December 2008.
- Pardon, Sydney, ed. (1917). "Other deaths in 1916". Wisden's Cricketers' Almanack. London: John Wisden & Co. Retrieved 10 January 2017.