Lewisham Deptford (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Lewisham, Deptford in Greater London.
|Electorate||67,590 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Deptford, New Cross and Lewisham|
|Member of parliament||Vicky Foxcroft (Labour)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Deptford and Lewisham North|
|European Parliament constituency||London|
This seat was created in 1974 and has been held by three Members of Parliament.
This constituency takes in Lewisham's northern tip - a short stretch alongside the Thames - along with the Deptford and New Cross districts, and the centre of Lewisham itself. These are historically some of the more deprived in London with high crime rates and social problems, counter to this, more upmarket housing developments are springing up as former industrial sites are cleared away as part of an ongoing rejuvenation process. To the South East of the seat, Lewisham town centre fades imperceptibly into Ladywell.
The area is relatively affordable, given the short commuting distance to Central London and Canary Wharf, via the Docklands Light Railway and South East Main Line. Goldsmiths, University of London and wider halls of residence and this is a popular living area for those staying and studying in Greater London, giving a substantial student minority to the electorate.
Lewisham Deptford has been one of Labour's safest London seats since its 1974 creation - it was the party's 25th safest in Britain at the 2001 election - though social change in the last decade has seen things become a little more competitive; the most popular opposition in 2005 and 2010 was formed by the active Liberal Democrat party in the area. In terms of share of the vote, it received the 44th largest Labour vote in 2010, of the 650 constituencies.
1974-1983: The London Borough of Lewisham wards of Brockley, Deptford, Drake, Grinling Gibbons, Ladywell, Marlowe, and Pepys.
1983-2010: The London Borough of Lewisham wards of Blythe Hill, Crofton Park, Drake, Evelyn, Grinling Gibbons, Ladywell, Marlowe, and Pepys.
2010-present: The London Borough of Lewisham wards of Brockley, Crofton Park, Evelyn, Ladywell, Lewisham Central, New Cross, and Telegraph Hill.
The constituency covers the northern and north-western parts of the London Borough of Lewisham.
The Fifth Periodic Review of Westminster constituencies which redrew this seat in 2010 also resulted in the creation of a new cross-borough constituency of Lewisham West and Penge which takes electoral wards from Lewisham and Bromley.
Members of Parliament
|Feb 1974||John Silkin||Labour|
Elections in 2010s
|Green||John Coughlin ||5,932||12.5||+5.8|
|Liberal Democrat||Michael Bukola||2,497||5.3||-18.1|
|People Before Profit||Helen Mercer||666||1.4||N/A|
|Christian Peoples||Malcolm Martin||300||0.6||-0.5|
|TUSC||Chris Flood ||286||0.6||N/A|
|Democratic Reform||Phil Badger||74||0.2||N/A|
|Labour||Joan Ruddock||22,132||53.7||-1.7[n 3]|
|Liberal Democrat||Tam Langley||9,633||23.4||+5.4|
|Socialist Alternative||Ian Page||645||1.6||-0.6|
|Christian Peoples||Malcolm Martin||487||1.2||N/A|
Elections in 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||Columba Blango||5,091||16.8||+5.1|
|Socialist Alternative||Ian Page||742||2.4||-1.9|
|Liberal Democrat||Andrew Wiseman||3,409||11.7||+2.8|
|Socialist Alliance||Ian Page||1,260||4.3||N/A|
Elections in 1990s
|Liberal Democrat||Kofi Appiah||3,004||8.93|
|Socialist Labour||John Mulrenan||996||2.96|
|Liberal Democrat||J.C. Brightwell||4,181||11.27|
Elections in 1980s
|Social Democratic||A.M.E. Braun||6,513||17.25|
|Social Democratic||D. Abbott||6,734||18.75|
|Assassin's Bullett||S.B. Housego||173||0.48|
Elections in 1970s
|National Front||R. Mitchell||1,490||4.17|
|Socialist Unity||J. Maguire||274||0.77|
|Workers Revolutionary||G. Dacres||198||0.55|
|National Front||Richard Edmonds||1,731||4.82|
Notes and references
- A borough constituency (for the purposes of election expenses and type of returning officer)
- As with all constituencies, the constituency elects one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post system of election at least every five years.
- Changes in the election are nominal, based on the 2005 results for the new set of wards contested in 2010, (partly in other seats contested before the Fifth Periodic Review of Westminster constituencies)
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- 2001 Census
- General Election Results from the Electoral Commission
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "L" (part 2)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Lewisham Deptford parliamentary constituency". Election 2015. BBC News. 8 May 2015. Retrieved 8 May 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.