Lex van Dam
Lex van Dam (born Drachten, Netherlands in June 1968) is a Dutch investment manager, investor, and writer specialising in trading in equities, currencies and financial derivatives. He lives in London.
Born in a small town in Friesland, van Dam studied econometrics and investments at the University of Groningen. His professional career began in 1992, trading stocks for Goldman Sachs where he worked for ten years, latterly as head of the equities proprietary trading desk. After that he ran money at GLG which, at the time, was Europe’s largest hedge fund. Since 2007 he has been a hedge fund manager at Hampstead Capital LLP, London.
In 2009, van Dam featured in a three-part series on BBC2, entitled Million Dollar Traders that aimed to educate eight ordinary people about the stock market, in a re-creation of the famous "turtle trader" experiment of Richard Dennis in the 1980s. Van Dam put up the sterling equivalent of $1 million of his own money for the novices to trade with over the course of eight weeks. As with the original experiment, those who lasted the course broadly confirmed the claim that novices could become professional-level traders, making small profits or at least lower losses trading in very turbulent markets during the filming than professionals, who lost four times greater amounts over the same period. Van Dam set up the experiment to encourage the public to take greater control of their personal finances in the wake of the global financial crisis.
Later that year, a companion book How to Make Money Trading was released in order to expand on the trading techniques featured in the television series.
- The man teaching traders how to trade City AM profile April 16, 2013
- Profile on website 2013 Archived 2013-07-05 at the Wayback Machine
- Learning to trade at the school of hard knocks The Financial Times 19 Nov 2010 (subscription required)
- "Make Me a Trader, Million Dollar Traders - BBC Two". BBC. Retrieved 2015-10-16.
- Lex van Dam Trading Academy
- Pagano, Margareta (21 November 2010). "Van Dam's trading course to counter "rip-off" tutors". The Independent. Retrieved 6 February 2019.
- Financieel Dagblad