SoCal BMW Crosstown Cup
The SoCal BMW Crosstown Cup is a year-long all-sports college competition between the UCLA Bruins and the USC Trojans. While UCLA and USC have had a sports rivalry since the 1920s, the official yearly head-to-head all-sports competition began with the 2001–2002 season as the Lexus Gauntlet. After the 2008–2009 season, Lexus' sponsorship ended. For the next five seasons USC and UCLA continued to keep track of the scores and yearly winners. Without an official sponsor, the competition was referred to as the Crosstown Gauntlet from fall 2009 to spring 2014. Starting with the 2014–2015 season, the series was sponsored by The Southern California BMW Centers and renamed the SoCal BMW Crosstown Cup.
Points are awarded for each NCAA-sanctioned sport that the two schools compete face each other in. Each of the 19 varsity sports that the two schools compete against each other in are worth 10 points in total. All regular season and postseason head-to-head competition in a single sport counts as a series, and all of the points for that sport are awarded to the winner of the series. Points are split in the event of a series tie. For sports without head-to-head competition, such as both men's and women's golf, all of the points for that sport are awarded based on which school finishes higher in the conference tournament. In sports with both head-to-head and multi-competitor events, such as swimming and track and field, only the head-to-head results are counted. For example, as there is only one match played, a single football victory is worth 10 points, while all head-to-head Men's water polo victories count as a series worth 10 total points. Currently, with 19 active sports in which UCLA and USC compete against each other, there are 190 points available in a season, with 100 needed to clinch an overall win. In the event of a tie after all points have been settled, there are three tiebreakers. The first tiebreaker is regular season head-to-head wins. If a tie remains, next is postseason head-to-head wins. Finally, the third tiebreaker is whichever school won the most conference championships in head-to-head sports.
Under the original Lexus sponsorship and the unsponsored period from 2009–2014, the scoring structure was slightly different. Instead of each sport being worth 10 points, only football, men's basketball, women's basketball, and women's volleyball were worth 10 points. All other sports were worth 5 points. As a result, there were originally 110 points available with 57.5 points needed to win. After the two schools began competing in women's sand volleyball for the 2012–2013, this changed to 115 points available and 60 needed to win.
|SoCal BMW Crosstown Cup|
|* USC won with the first tiebreaker: regular season head-to-head wins (16–15)|
|** UCLA won with the second tiebreaker: postseason head-to-head wins (4–0)|
|^ UCLA clinched the Gauntlet prior to the conclusion of the athletic season, and the resulting trophy inscription showed the score 70–40. Afterwards, USC won back 2.5 points with a victory over UCLA in the NCAA Women's Tennis Championship|
- "UCLA, USC to Compete for SoCal BMW Crosstown Cup". uclabruins.com.
- "USC And UCLA To Compete For SoCal BMW Crosstown Cup". usctrojans.com.
- "USC clinches Gauntlet Trophy over UCLA", Fox Sports West, April 25, 2011
- "USC wins 4th straight Gauntlet title", Pedro Moura, ESPN.com, April 25, 2011
- "http://www.usctrojans.com/genrel/043012aaa.html", University of Southern California, April 30, 2012
- "http://www.bruinsnation.com/2012/5/1/2991099/UCLA-USC-Gauntlet-Trophy-Fire-Dan-Guerrero-Gene-Block", May 1, 2012
- "UCLA Athletics on Twitter". Twitter.
- "Throwing Down the Gauntlet", Stephanie Graves, Fox Sports West, April 26, 2011
- USC Repeats as Lexus Gauntlet Trophy Winners!, USCTrojans, May 2, 2009
- "USC Captures 2013–14 Crosstown Gauntlet Trophy". usctrojans.com.
- "UCLA-USC: The Greatest Rivalry in College Sports". ucla-usc.
- "Stanford Crowned 2005 Lexus Gauntlet Champion – GoStanford.com – Stanford University". gostanford.com.
- "Alice Barnes Honored as Stanford Claims Lexus Gauntlet – GoStanford.com – Stanford University". gostanford.com.
- "Stanford Claims 2007 Lexus Gauntlet Championship – GoStanford.com – Stanford University". gostanford.com.