|Vice President of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation|
|Assumed office |
|Preceded by||Position established|
|Born||3 July 1984|
Moscow, Russian SFSR, Soviet Union
(m. 2006; div. 2015)
According to her personal website, Aliyeva was born in Moscow on 3 July 1985. From 2006 to 2008, Aliyeva pursued a master's degree at the Moscow State Institute of International Relations (MGIMO-MSIIR; also the alma mater of her father).
She is a member of the ruling Aliyev family in Azerbaijan. She has been embroiled in scandals involving the family's wealth, as she and her family members had wealth stashed in elaborate networks of offshore companies. The documents showed that Leyla and her sister Arzu controlled two previously hidden British Virgin Islands-incorporated firms — Kingsview Developments Limited and Exaltation Limited. Documents have also shown her to be the owner of offshore companies LaBelleza Holdings Limited and Harvard Management Limited.
Aliyeva is Vice-President of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation, a charity run by the Aliyev ruling family in Azerbaijan. Leyla and her sister own a number of banks in Azerbaijan. She is editor-in-chief of the style magazine Baku, launched in 2011.
Aliyeva has been involved in efforts to promote Azerbaĳan in Russia. In 2011 Leyla Aliyeva launched the international campaign International Dialogue for Environmental Action. In July 2011, the Taraggi (Progress) Medal was conferred on Aliyeva for her contributions to the development of Azerbaijan–Russia relations. In 2012, Aliyeva was awarded the medal “For Merits Before the Astrakhan Oblast". In 2013, she was decorated with Order of St. Olga 3rd Grade of the Russian Orthodox Church, and was awarded the “For Services to Volgograd Region” Prize. In 2015, Aliyeva was awarded the Pushkin Medal of the Russian Federation. During that year, she was conferred the title of Goodwill Ambassador of the UN Food and Agriculture Organization. In 2016, Leyla Aliyeva received a diploma of Honorary Professor at Moscow State University. and a "Medal of Merit" from Moscow State International Relations Institute's Scientific Council.
Aliyeva is the mother of three children: Ali, Mikail and Amina.
- "Leyla Əliyevanın şəxsi veb-saytı". Leyla-aliyeva.az. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- "How Family that Runs Azerbaijan Built an Empire of Hidden Wealth - ICIJ". 4 April 2016. Retrieved 2021-07-11.
- "UK law firm accused of failings over Azerbaijan leader's daughters' offshore assets". the Guardian. 2018-05-16. Retrieved 2021-07-11.
- Candea, Stefan (4 April 2013). "Offshore Companies Link Corporate Mogul, Azerbaijan's President". Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty. Retrieved 2021-07-11.
- "News". Archived from the original on 2012-08-03. Retrieved 2012-04-08.
- "Azerbaijan cultural center opens in Moscow (PHOTO) - Trend.Az". En.trend.az. 2011-10-19. Archived from the original on 2012-04-05. Retrieved 2014-03-24.
- "Xalq Qəzeti". Xalqqazeti.com. Archived from the original on 2012-04-20. Retrieved 2014-03-24.
- Luft, Oliver (2011-06-29). "Condé Nast to publish international edition of Baku magazine - Media news". Media Week<. Retrieved 2014-03-24.
- "Leila Aliyeva: Azerbaijan could become a bridge between civilizations | European Dialogue". Eurodialogue.org. 2010-06-16. Retrieved 2016-04-09.
- Rzayeva, Camilla (2008-05-08). "Leyla Aliyeva: "We must stick together and cooperate" - Diaspora - Visions of Azerbaijan Magazine". Visions.az. Retrieved 2016-04-09.
- "Visions of Azerbaijan Magazine ::: Leyla Aliyeva: "We must stick together and cooperate"". Visions of Azerbaijan Magazine. Retrieved 2022-05-15.
- "IDEA (International Dialogue for Environmental Action) Public Association". UNCCD. Retrieved 2022-05-15.
- "Azərbaycan Prezidentinin Rəsmi internet səhifəsi - SƏNƏDLƏR » Sərəncamlar Azərbaycan diasporunun inkişafındakı xidmətlərinə görə bir qrup şəxsin təltif edilməsi haqqında Azərbaycan Respublikası Prezidentinin Sərəncamı". President.az. Retrieved 2016-04-09.
- "Heydar Aliyev Foundation VP Leyla Aliyeva awarded the medal "For Merits Before the Astrakhan Oblast" - UPDATE - PHOTOS". www.today.az. Retrieved 2022-05-15.
- "Leyla Aliyeva awarded with high order of Russian Orthodox Church". Retrieved 12 July 2017.
- "President of the Russian Federation Vladimir Putin presents the "Pushkin" Medal to Leyla Aliyeva". Retrieved 12 July 2017.
- "FAO - News Article: FAO Director-General meets Leyla Aliyeva, FAO Goodwill Ambassador for Azerbaijan". www.fao.org. Retrieved 2022-05-15.
- "Leyla Aliyeva receives diploma of Honorary Professor of Moscow State University (PHOTO)". Trend.Az. 2016-05-20. Retrieved 2022-05-15.
- "Vice President of Foundation". Retrieved 17 July 2017.
- "Ali and Nino film to premier at Sundance". Retrieved 12 July 2017.
- "Leyla Aliyeva adopts girl from orphanage". Vestnik Kavkaza. Retrieved 2016-04-09.
- "BBCAzeri.com | Ön səhifə | "Washington Post" : "Dubay malikanələri danışa bilsəydilər"..." www.bbc.com (in Azerbaijani). Retrieved 2017-04-14.
- "Дочь президента Азербайджана сообщила о своем разводе через Instagram" (in Russian). RIA Novosti. 30 May 2015. Retrieved 30 May 2015.
- Higgins, Andrew (March 5, 2010). "Pricey real estate deals in Dubai raise questions about Azerbaijan's president". Washington Post. Retrieved September 28, 2012.