Location within Aklan province
|Region||Western Visayas (Region VI)|
|Barangays||12 (see Barangays)|
|• Type||Sangguniang Bayan|
|• Mayor||Victor L. Fernandez|
|• Total||23.40 km2 (9.03 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||650/km2 (1,700/sq mi)|
|• Voter (2016)||8,731|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)36|
|Income class||5th class|
Lezo, officially the Municipality of Lezo (Filipino: Bayan ng Lezo), is a municipality in the province of Aklan in the Western Visayas region of the Philippines. The population was 15,224 at the 2015 census. In the 2016 election, it had 8,731 registered voters.
Before its creation into an independent municipality, Lezo was a barrio in Kalibo called Guicod derived from the word "Guicab" which means "a cavern in a creek where eels were in abundance", and was was also known as Tierra Alta meaning a "high land" because the town center was not inundated during the great flood of the early 19th century.
With several petitions by the residents over the years to separate from Numancia, President Manuel Quezon signed Executive Order No. 364 dated August 28, 1941 converting Lezo into an independent municipality. The inauguration of Lezo as a separate municipality was scheduled in 1942, but due to the outbreak of World War II it was deferred to January 1, 1945.
Lezo is located at 11°40'N, 122°20'E.
According to the Philippine Statistics Authority, the municipality has a land area of 23.40 square kilometres (9.03 sq mi) constituting 1.28% of the 1,821.42-square-kilometre- (703.25 sq mi) total area of Aklan.
- Santa Cruz
- Santa Cruz Biga-a
|Population census of Lezo|
In the 2015 census, Lezo had a population of 15,224. The population density was 650 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,700/sq mi).
In the 2016 election, it had 8,731 registered voters.
- "Municipality". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Province: Aklan". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- "Region VI (WESTERN VISAYAS)". Census of Population (2015): Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay (Report). PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "2016 National and Local Elections Statistics". Commission on Elections. 2016.
- "History". Municipality of Lezo. Archived from the original on 6 January 2015. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- "Executive Order No. 364; Segregating from the Municipality of Numancia, Province of Capiz, the Barrio of Lezo and Organizing the Same Into a Separate Municipality Under the Name of Lezo, with the Seat of Government at the Barrio of Lezo". Official Gazette of the Republic of the Philippines. Malacañan Palace, Manila, Philippines. 28 August 1941. Archived from the original on 13 October 2016. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- "Municipal: Lezo, Aklan". PSA. Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- "Region VI (WESTERN VISAYAS)". Census of Population and Housing (2010): Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay (Report). NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "Region VI (WESTERN VISAYAS)". Census of Population (1995, 2000 and 2007): Total Population by Province, City and Municipality (Report). NSO. Archived from the original on 24 June 2011.