|His Excellency, The Most Reverend
Liam Stephen Cary
|Bishop of Baker|
|Archdiocese||Portland in Oregon|
|Appointed||March 8, 2012|
|Installed||May 18, 2012|
|Predecessor||Robert F. Vasa|
|Ordination||September 5, 1992
by William Levada
|Consecration||May 18, 2012
by John George Vlazny, Robert F. Vasa, and William S. Skylstad
August 21, 1947 |
Liam Stephen Cary
|Spoken style||Your Excellency|
Early life and education
Liam Stephen Cary was born in Portland, Oregon. Three years later the family moved to Prineville, Oregon. He studied for the priesthood at Mount Angel Seminary near Mt. Angel, Oregon, St. Patrick's Seminary in Menlo Park, California, the Pontifical North American College and the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome where he received a bachelor's and a licentiate in sacred theology. From 1970, he took a leave of absence from the Menlo Park seminary, eventually returning to his studies in 1988.
After ordination Father Cary served as the parochial vicar at St. Joseph Parish in Salem, Oregon (1992–1995), archdiocesan vocation director (1995–1999) and pastor at Sacred Heart Parish Medford, Oregon, St. Luke's in Woodburn, Oregon (1999–2011) and St. Mary's Church in Eugene, Oregon (2011–2012).
Bishop of Baker
Father Cary was named the bishop of Baker by Pope Benedict XVI on March 8, 2012. His episcopal consecration took place on May 18, 2012, at the hands of Archbishop John George Vlazny of Portland, Oregon. Bishops Robert F. Vasa, the previous bishop of Baker, and William Stephen Skylstad, who had served the Baker Diocese as Apostolic Administrator, were the co-consecrators.
- "Pope Names Portland Archdiocese Priest Bishop Of Baker, Oregon". United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. Retrieved August 17, 2012.
- Morris-Long, Dan (Feb 17, 2014). "Parish reactions mixed in wake of Vatican denial of pastor's appeal". National Catholic Reporter. Retrieved 19 February 2014.
- "Bishop Liam Stephen Cary". catholic-hierarchy.org. Retrieved August 17, 2012.[self-published source]
- "Diocese of Baker". GCatholic.org. Retrieved August 17, 2012.
- Nancy Haught (March 9, 2012). "Portland priest Liam Cary named new bishop of Baker". The Oregonian. Retrieved August 17, 2012.
|Catholic Church titles|
Robert F. Vasa
|Bishop of Baker