This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Birth name||Liam Coverdale Howe|
|Born||28 November 1974|
|Genres||Electronica, trip hop, dance, indie pop|
|Occupation(s)||Producer, mixer, programmer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist|
|Instruments||Synthesizer, guitar, bass, programming, string arrangement|
|Labels||One Little Indian, Tommy Boy|
|Associated acts||Sneaker Pimps, Marina and the Diamonds, FKA twigs|
Liam Coverdale Howe (born 29 September 1974, Elwick, Hartlepool, England) is an English, London-based record producer, musician and songwriter. Since forming 90s cult band Sneaker Pimps in 1996, he has had much success producing the likes of Lana Del Rey, Marina and the Diamonds, FKA Twigs, Ellie Goulding, and Tom Vek.
- 2019 Kyla La Grange – Comfort in Chaos (Sony Music)
- 2019 Sarasara – Orgone inc. writing
- 2019 BEA1991 – Did You Feel Me Slip Away? inc. writing
- 2018 Elli Ingram – Sad Girl inc. writing
- 2018 Sharon Kovacs – Cheap Smell inc. writing
- 2017 KillJ – Moonsick inc. writing
- 2017 KillJ – Dead Weight Solidier inc. writing
- 2017 KillJ – Silver Spoon inc. writing
- 2017 Jessie Ware – True Believers inc. writing
- 2017 Nilufer Yanya – Sliding Doors inc. writing
- 2017 Lissie – Boyfriend inc. writing
- 2017 Kovacs – Sugar Pill inc. writing
- 2017 Maxine Ashley – Paranoid EP inc. writing
- 2016 Tsar B – Tsar B EP (Disco Naïveté)
- 2016 Rob Bravery – You Take Half (Sony Music)
- 2016 Hannah Peel – Awake but Always Dreaming (My Own Pleasure)
- 2016 Kyla La Grange – Justify (Sony Music)
- 2016 Sonia Stein – One of those Things (Marathon Records) inc. writing
- 2015 Foxes – All I Need (Epic) inc. writing
- 2015 Belgrave – Echoes EP (Just Off Pop) inc. writing
- 2015 Fallulah – Perfect Tense (Orchard) inc. writing
- 2015 Wild Palms – Rainmaking (One Little Indian) inc. writing
- 2015 Natalie Duncan – 'Black and White' (Harvest) inc. writing
- 2014 Jam City – Dream a Garden (Night Slugs)
- 2014 Shivum Sharma – All These Years (National Anthem)
- 2014 Sonia Stein – Symbol (Harvest) inc. writing
- 2014 Sonia Stein – Chaos (Harvest) inc. writing
- 2014 Laura Welsh – "Soft Control" (Outsiders / Polydor) inc. writing
- 2014 Sonia Stein – "Friendly Ghost" (Harvest) inc. writing
- 2014 Sonia Stein – "Demented Mind" (Harvest) inc. writing
- 2014 Foxes – Glorious (Sony Music) inc. writing
- 2014 Dan Croll – Sweet Disarray (Deram Records) inc. writing
- 2014 Say Lou Lou – Lucid Dreaming (à Deux) inc. writing
- 2014 Hannah Peel – Fabric State
- 2013 FKA twigs – EP2 (Young Turks)
- 2013 FKA twigs – EP1 inc. writing
- 2013 VV Brown – Samson & Delilah (YOY Records) inc. writing
- 2013 Fallulah – Escapism (Sony Music) inc. writing
- 2012 IAMX – The Unified Field (PledgeMusic)
- 2012 Marina and the Diamonds – Electra Heart (679 Artists / Atlantic Records) inc. writing
- 2012 Lana Del Rey – Born to Die (Interscope) inc. writing
- 2011 Tom Vek – Leisure Seizure (Island Records)
- 2011 CocknBullKid – Adulthood (Island Records) inc. writing
- 2011 Ellie Goulding – Bright Lights (Polydor)
- 2011 Sophie Ellis-Bextor – Make a Scene (EBGB's) inc. writing
- 2010 Cathy Davey – The Nameless (Hammer Toe Records)
- 2010 Marina and the Diamonds – The Family Jewels (679 Artists / Atlantic Records) inc. writing
- 2008 The Whip – X Marks Destination (Southern Fried Records)
- 2008 Adele – 19 (XL Recordings)
- 2007 Cathy Davey – Tales of Silversleeve (Parlophone)
- 2007 Sophie Ellis-Bextor – Trip the Light Fantastic (Fascination) inc. writing
- 2006 Grandadbob – Garden of Happiness (Southern Fried Records)
- 2006 IAMX – The Alternative inc. writing
- 2005 Emilíana Torrini – Fisherman's Woman (Rough Trade) inc. writing
- 2004 Ultrafox – Ice Skating (Loser Friendly) inc. writing
- 2002 Sneaker Pimps – Bloodsport (Tommy Boy) inc. writing
- 2001 Natalie Imbruglia – Cold Air inc. writing
- 1999 Sneaker Pimps – Splinter (One Little Indian) inc. writing
- 1997 Marilyn Manson – Long Hard Road Out of Hell (Interscope)
- 1996 Sneaker Pimps – Becoming X (One Little Indian) inc. writing
- 1994 Line of Flight – The World as a Cone EP (One Little Indian) inc. writing
- 1993 F.R.I.S.K. – The Soul of Indiscretion (One Little Indian) inc. writing
In 1992, he formed the dance act F.R.I.S.K. with fellow northerner and childhood friend Chris Corner, and released the white label The Soul of Indiscretion EP. The act was subsequently signed to Clean Up Records, a subsidiary of One Little Indian Records.
Whilst studying fine art at Reading University, Howe formed the production company Line of Flight with Corner and other art students Joe Wilson and David Westlake. They released The World as a Cone EP under this title in 1993. Line of Flight produced many of the acts on Clean Up Records, and contributed numerous remixes to the 1990s dance scene.
Wanting a bigger audience, Howe and Corner began writing for a more song based project. Ian Pickering, a lifelong friend of Howe's joined the writing team as a lyricist. With an album of material written, singer Kelli Dayton (who had been introduced to Howe and Corner through Derek Birkett of One Little Indian) was invited to sing, and the band Sneaker Pimps was formed. The debut album Becoming X was recorded in Howe's father's house in Elwick; a small village on the outskirts of Hartlepool. Howe and Corner produced the record under the 'Line of Flight' umbrella, with contributions from producers Jim Abbiss and Flood.
Howe also played keyboards with Sneaker Pimps, throughout their worldwide promotion of their three albums to date.
|ASCAP Songwriting Award||"6 Underground" (with Corner and Pickering)||ASCAP Songwriting Award||Won|||
Through the success of Sneaker Pimps, Howe's writing and production skills gained international recognition with hits such as "6 Underground" and "Spin Spin Sugar", which led to collaborations with Marilyn Manson, Placebo, Echo & the Bunnymen, Natalie Imbruglia, Nerina Pallot, and Emilíana Torrini.
Howe and Wilson formed the band Ultrafox in 2001, with the German twins, Claudia and Connie Holzer. Ice Skating was released on User Friendly Records.
Although Howe, Corner and Pickering have written a fourth Sneaker Pimps album, it remains unrecorded. Corner relocated to Berlin with the success of his solo project IAMX, whilst Howe stayed in the UK to further his writing/production career. The pair have recently reunited, with Howe contributing synthesiser and recorder parts to the fifth IAMX album, The Unified Field.
Production and writing with other artists
Since Sneaker Pimps, Howe has written for, produced and developed a whole host of respected artists including Lana Del Rey, Ellie Goulding, Marina and the Diamonds, Tom Vek, Jessie Ware, Mikky Ekko, Adele, FKA Twigs, Say Lou Lou and Paul Buchanan of The Blue Nile.
In 2008 and 2009, Howe worked extensively on the Marina and the Diamonds debut album The Family Jewels co-writing and/or producing the majority of tracks. The album entered the UK charts on its week of release at No. 5. He also worked with Diamandis on her follow-up album, Electra Heart. The album entered the UK charts on its week of release at No. 1.
In 2010 Howe produced CocknBullKid's debut album Adulthood on Island Records, including the co-writes 'Yellow' and 'The Hoarder' with Hannah Robinson, and 'Mexico' with Gonzales. Also in 2010 the track 'Little Dreams' was released on the Ellie Goulding reissue Bright Lights. The song was co-written and produced by Howe.
In 2011 Howe wrote several songs with Lana Del Rey and other collaborators such as Guy Chambers for her debut album Born to Die. The track Lolita, written with Hannah Robinson features on the record. Also in 2011 Howe contributed to Marina and the Diamonds follow-up record, Electra Heart.
The Sarasara LP 'Orgone' on One Little Indian was written and produced in collaboration with the artist (2019)
Collaborations with Conor O'Brien from the band Villagers, Gillian Maguire, Ben Romans, and Lees have occupied Howe in 2020. Along with much anticipated work for the new Sneaker Pimps album with fellow band mate Chris Corner. Ape Mink press has arisen as a new project but the nature of this is, as yet, undisclosed.
Howe's compositions have appeared in many films, most notably The Saint, Danny Boyle's A Life Less Ordinary and Alfonso Cuarón's Y tu mamá también. In 2009, he composed the soundtrack to the Sundance multi award-winning film Obselidia, using an orchestra of obsolete instruments. Howe has directed music videos for both Sneaker Pimps, and the electronic act, Motor. As a visual artist, Howe has exhibited installations in galleries such as London's Institute of Contemporary Arts and the CCA Glasgow. 2015 saw the release of Howe's second major film score to Bleeding Heart  which starred Jessica Biel and Zosia Mamet and was directed by Diane Bell (director). The film premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival on 16 April 2015. Diane Bell's 3rd Film "Of Dust and Bones" also has an original score composed by Howe.
Solo career / the future of Sneaker Pimps
There is speculation as to the name of the project, however earlier material went under the name 'The Zip'. The record is believed to be a 'producers' record, whereby he has invited collaborators to contribute performances. Collaborations with Alan Vega, Neneh Cherry, and Paul Buchanan are rumoured to exist.
Sneaker Pimps are currently finishing their fourth album. This will be due for release in 2020.