The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince
|The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince|
|Developer(s)||Nippon Ichi Software|
|Publisher(s)||Nippon Ichi Software|
Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4
The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince (Japanese: 嘘つき姫と盲目王子 Hepburn: Usotsuki Hime to Mōmoku Ōji) is an action-adventure game developed and published by Nippon Ichi Software. It was released in Japan in May 2018 for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation Vita, and will be available in western territories in March 2019 only for Switch and PlayStation 4.
The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince is an action-adventure game played from a side-scrolling perspective. The player is a wolf-monster who can transform into a princess. She must guide the blinded prince through a dark forest. In princess form, the player can hold hands with the prince in order to move, and give him simple instructions, such as jumping or walking into a direction. In wolf form, the player tries to protect the prince from the forest creatures in combat. There are also environmental puzzles in the forest, such as platforms that react to weight, or heavy objects that block the road and can only be broken by the strength of the wolf-monster. The player can only return to wolf form at special places where the light of the moon shines through the dark clouds above the forest. The prince can hold things for the princess, while the player guides him to the right place. There are special objects that only the prince can hold, such as fire lanterns.
The story of The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince starts when the prince hears the wolf-monster's beautiful singing voice. Attracted by the voice, he comes close to the wolf-monster. The wolf-monster, thinking that the prince saw its true form, scratches the face of the prince, causing him an injury and blinding him. The king, who detests facial injuries, then imprisons the prince. The wolf-monster feels remorseful about the incident and decides to go to the witch in the forest, who grants wishes but needs something to compensate for that wish. The wolf-monster gives up its singing voice for the ability to transform into a princess. It then starts its quest to bring the prince to the witch and let her heal the prince's eyes. Because the wolf-monster does not want the prince to know its real identity, it lies to the prince and says that she is a princess from a neighbouring country.
The idea behind The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince came from a web designer during an internal pitching contest within Nippon Ichi Software. Such contests are held annually at the company and earlier editions resulted in the development of games such as htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diary and Yomawari: Night Alone. The game was revealed in January 2018 during a live-broadcast video presentation.
In August 2018, NIS America announced they are publishing the game in North America and Europe in 2019, only for the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4. NIS America will also release a limited physical edition that includes a special book and soundtrack.
- Romano, Sal (12 November 2018). "The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince launches March 30, 2019 in North America and Europe". Gematsu. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- Romano, Sal (8 March 2018). "Liar Princess and the Blind Prince details Princess and Wolf-only abilities, basic systems". Gematsu. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- Sato (6 February 2018). "The Liar Princess and Blind Prince Lead The Way To Japan On May 31, Gets Gameplay And Character Details". Siliconera. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- Romano, Sal (6 February 2018). "Liar Princess and the Blind Prince launches May 31 in Japan". Gematsu. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- Sato (18 January 2018). "Nippon Ichi Software Announces "The Liar Princess and Blind Prince"". Siliconera. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- 日本一ソフトウェアの新作タイトルを“直接”紹介する動画 (Video). Nippon Ichi Software. 18 January 2018. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- "Sato" (August 7, 2018). "The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince Headed Westward For PS4 And Switch In 2019". Siliconera. Retrieved August 26, 2018.