|5th Secretary General of the|
East African Community
Assumed office |
26 April 2016
|Preceded by||Richard Sezibera|
|Deputy Secretary General|
East African Community
2015 – 26 April 2016
|Alma mater||Clark University|
Libérat Mfumukeko is a Burundian diplomat and civil servant. He is the Secretary General of the East African Community (EAC). He was appointed to that position by the East African Community Heads of State on 2 March 2016, to assume office on 26 April 2016 for a five-year term, replacing Richard Sezibera.
At the time of his appointment, he was the Deputy Secretary General responsible for finance and administration at the EAC headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania. Prior to that, he served as an adviser to the President of Burundi. He served as the Director General of REGIDESO, Burundi's energy and water utility, and was also the Chairman of the Steering Committee of the East African Power Pool (EAPP).
According to the EAC Secretariat, Mfumukeko is fluent in English, French, Kirundi, Kiswahili and Russian. He has a long foreign experienced career, having worked in Cameroon, DR Congo, France, Ivory Coast, Russia, Rwanda and USA.
- EAC (2 March 2016). "JOINT COMMUNIQUÉ: 17TH ORDINARY SUMMIT OF THE EAST AFRICAN COMMUNITY HEADS OF STATE". Arusha: East African Community (EAC). Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- TCT (27 April 2016). "East Africa: EAC Boss Warns of Hard Times". The Citizen (Tanzania) (TCT) via AllAfrica.com. Dar es alaam. Retrieved 27 April 2016.
- Kimenyi, Bryan (2 March 2016). "East Africa: Burundi's Mfumukeko Named New EAC Secretary General". New Times (Rwanda) via AllAfrica.com. Kigali. Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- Nizeyimana, Jean (2 March 2016). "Burundian Mfumukeko replaces Sezibera in the secretariat of the EAC". Kigali: Umuseke.rw. Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- Ihucha, Adam (3 March 2016). "East Africa: Burundi's Libérat Mfumukeko to Head EAC Secretariat". The EastAfrican via AllAfrica.com. Nairobi. Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- Mayallah, Elisha (5 March 2016). "EAC Summit admits South Sudan". East African Business Week. Kampala. Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- EAC (20 February 2015). "Deputy Secretary General - Finance & Administration: Libérat Mfumukeko". Arusha: East African Community (EAC). Retrieved 8 March 2016.
| Secretary General of the East African Community
26 April 2016 - present