|Full name||Elizabeth Clegg|
24 March 1990 |
|Coached by||Keith Antoine|
|Achievements and titles|
|Paralympic finals||2008, 2012|
Elizabeth "Libby" Clegg (born 24 March 1990 in Bollington, Cheshire) is a Scottish Paralympic sprinter who has represented both Scotland and Great Britain at international events. She represented Great Britain in the T12 100 m and 200 m at the 2008 Summer Paralympics, winning a silver medal in the T12 100 m race.
Clegg has a deteriorating eye condition known as Stargardt’s Macular Dystrophy disease giving her only slight peripheral vision in her left eye – she is registered blind. Clegg runs with the aid of guide runner Mikail Huggins, the step son of her former guide Lincoln Asquith. In January 2011, she competed in the IPC World Athletic Championships. Whilst there she took a bronze in the 200m. Clegg is a Paralympic silver medallist and current World Champion in the T12 100m and 200m sprints. She was one of the major success stories from the recent IPC World Championships in New Zealand and IBSA World Championships in Turkey.
In June 2012, Clegg won the 100m and 200m at the IPC Athletics European Championships.
In October 2012, Clegg won "Para Athlete of the Year" at the Scottishathletics awards and was presented with her award by fellow GB Paralympian David Weir. She won the award again in October 2013.
In 2013, Clegg won double silver at the IPC World Championships in Lyon clocking 12.23 and 25.31 over 100m and 200m respectively. Clegg is sponsored by the property marketing business ESPC where she participated in work experience in 2008 during her time at The Royal Blind School.
Due to illness, Clegg was unable to defend her European title in Swansea shortly after the Commonwealth Games, but will be able to take part in the IPC World Championships in Doha during 2015 and the Rio Paralympic Games in 2016.
- BBC Sport - GB Paralympic team for Beijing, 24 July 2008
- "Pistorius wins dramatic 100m gold". BBC Sport. 9 September 2008.
- Clegg "About Libby Clegg". channel4.com. Retrieved 14 November 2012.[dead link]
- Hart, Simon (2 September 2012). "Paralympics 2012: Libby Clegg makes it a family double as parents and boyfriend sprint between stadiums to see it". telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 14 November 2012.
- "Libby joy at landing Haven Para Athlete of Year". scottishathletics.org.uk. 30 October 2012. Retrieved 14 November 2012.
- Child Crowned Athlete of the Year Scottishathletics. 27-10-2013. Retrieved 30-06-2014.
- British Paralympic Association - James Clegg
- "Glasgow 2014: Libby Clegg strikes gold in T12 100m". BBC Sport. 28 July 2014.
|This biographical article relating to British athletics is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Paralympic medalist of Great Britain is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|