This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Liberal homophobia is a concept that defines the acceptance of homosexuality as long as it remains hidden. It is a type of homophobia in which, despite acceptance and defence of sexual diversity can be expressed, prejudices and stereotypes that marginalize or underestimate LGBTI people are perpetuated.
It is a practice that is based on understanding relationships and sexuality as private issues and, therefore, accepting individual freedom over them as long as they do not emerge to the public sphere. However, the LGBTI movement defends that sexual orientation is and always have been a public issue, because heterosexuals show openly their orientation with the simple fact of having a partner.
Liberal homophobia is expressed in many areas from which the need to make sexual diversity visible is criticized, such as the LGBTI pride parades, awareness campaigns in schools, being out of the closet or having non-heterosexual mannerisms, without taking into account the discrimination that LGBTI people face.
Authors like Alberto Mira and Daniel Borrillo consider that this is a type of homophobia that is characterized by the «yes, but...». Homosexuality is benevolently tolerated, provided it is silenced and heterocentric normality is accepted. Any transgression of that norm is rejected as victimist, ghettoed, activist or proselytizer. In the words of Mira:
|Look up liberal homophobia in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
- Borrillo, Daniel (2000). L'Homophobie (in French). Presses Universitaires de France. ISBN 9782130507185.
- Mira, Alberto (2004). De Sodoma a Chueca: una historia cultural de la homosexualidad en España en el siglo XX (in Spanish). Egales. ISBN 9788495346650.
- Gimeno, Beatriz (26 September 2003). "Homofobia liberal". El País (in Spanish).
- Ebert, Roger (7 March 2006). "Celibacy 'Liberal Homophobia'". rogerebert.com.
- Alonso, Margarita (2012). Best Inclusion Practices: LGBT Diversity. Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN 9781137033932.
- "Liberal Homophobia in the Age of Trump". Progressive Army. 10 May 2017.
- "El respeto a la diversidad sexual entre jóvenes y adolescentes. Una aproximación cualitativa" (PDF) (in Spanish). INJUVE.
- Gross, Aeyal (24 June 2013). "Israel's liberal homophobia". ILGA.
|This article about lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender topics is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|