Liberal homophobia is the acceptance of homosexuality as long as it remains hidden. It is a type of homophobia in which, despite acceptance and a defence of sexual diversity to be expressed, prejudices and stereotypes that marginalize or underestimate LGBT people are perpetuated.
Liberal homophobia is a practice that is based on understanding relationships and sexuality as private issues and, therefore, accepting individual freedom over them as long as they do not emerge in the public sphere. However, members of the LGBT movement maintain that sexual orientation is an inherently public issue because heterosexuals are not constrained to hide their relationships in public as gay people are.
Liberal homophobia is expressed in many areas from which the need to make sexual diversity visible is criticized, such as the LGBT pride parades, awareness campaigns in schools, being out of the closet or having non-heterosexual mannerisms, without taking into account the discrimination that LGBT people face.
Authors such as Alberto Mira and Daniel Borrillo consider that this is a type of homophobia that is characterized by the "yes, but...". Homosexuality is benevolently tolerated, provided it is silenced and heterocentric normality is accepted. Any transgression of that norm is rejected as victimist, ghettoed, activist or proselytizer. In the words of Mira:
- Borrillo, Daniel (2000). L'Homophobie (in French). Presses Universitaires de France. ISBN 9782130507185.
- Mira, Alberto (2004). De Sodoma a Chueca: una historia cultural de la homosexualidad en España en el siglo XX (in Spanish). Egales. ISBN 9788495346650.
- Gimeno, Beatriz (26 September 2003). "Homofobia liberal". El País (in Spanish).
- Ebert, Roger (7 March 2006). "Celibacy 'Liberal Homophobia'". Rogerebert.com.
- Alonso, Margarita (2012). Best Inclusion Practices: LGBT Diversity. Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN 9781137033932.
- Gross, Aeyal (2015). "The Politics of LGBT Rights in Israel and Beyond: Nationality, Normativity, and Queer Politics" (PDF). Columbia Human Rights Law Revie.
- Welzer-Lang, Daniel (January 2017). "Epistemology of Critical Studies on Men and Masculinity". Men's Studies Press.
- "Liberal Homophobia in the Age of Trump". Progressive Army. 10 May 2017.
"El respeto a la diversidad sexual entre jóvenes y adolescentes. Una aproximación cualitativa" (PDF) (in Spanish). INJUVE. Cite journal requires
- Gross, Aeyal (24 June 2013). "Israel's liberal homophobia". ILGA.
|Look up liberal homophobia in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
|This article about lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender topics is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|