A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (May 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Type of site
|Available in||10+ languages|
|Launched||February 3, 2016|
Liberapay is "a non-profit organization founded in 2015 in France" providing a platform to donate money to teams, organizations and individuals. The service does not charge a fee on donations aside from that required by its payment processors, instead financing its own activity through donations handled by the service itself in the same way as donations to third-parties are handled.
Liberapay began as a European fork of the now-defunct US-based platform Gratipay.com, which had undergone changes after facing legal issues. Initially Liberapay's only currency was the euro, but support for the US dollar was added after Gratipay announced that it would shut down, and support for 31 other currencies was added a year after that.
Liberapay almost died in 2018 when its payment processor decided to end their partnership. Support for two other payment processors was added in order to replace the original one, but the way the platform works had to change.
Liberapay shares similarities with the for-profit platform Patreon, but it does not allow creators to reward their patrons like Patreon does. This difference in the nature of the transactions has tax implications, for example Patreon collects VAT on all payments made from inside the European Union whereas Liberapay does not.
- Liberapay's translations on Weblate. Retrieved 2017-09-11.
- "Introduction - Liberapay". Archived from the original on 2017-08-21.
- "Après un an d'activité, Liberapay veut être l'alternative libre pour les dons récurrents" [A year after its launch, Liberapay wants to be the open source alternative for recurrent donations] (in French). 2017-04-13. Archived from the original on 2017-09-16.
- "Gratipay, Liberapay - Open source tipping apps struggle". P2P Foundation. 2016-03-11. Retrieved 2017-08-25.
- "Liberapay now supports US dollars". 2017-12-07. Archived from the original on 2018-02-09.
- "The third year of Liberapay". 2019-02-04.
- "Liberapay is in trouble". 2018-07-12.
- "Liberapay status update". 2018-10-12.
- "archiveis - Liberapay". Archived from the original on 2017-07-11.
- "Wesnoth on Liberapay - The Battle for Wesnoth Forums". 2019-04-05. Archived from the original on 2020-02-28.
- "GIMP - Donate". 2020-02-28.
- "Mastodon now has a team on Liberapay". 2017-06-07.
- "A Call to Arms: Supporting Matrix!". 2017-07-07.
- "Pepper&Carrot is now on Liberapay". 2017-07-13.
- "How does VAT work on Patreon?". 2018-03-25.
- Tweet from Liberapay about VAT, 2018-03-13.
|This website-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|