Type of site
|Available in||10+ languages|
|Launched||February 3, 2016|
Initially, Liberapay's only currency was the euro, but support for the US dollar was added after Gratipay announced that it would shut down,[when?] support for 31 other currencies was added a year later.
In 2018, Liberapay had to respond to Mangopay withdrawing its services as payment processor. Support for two other payment processors was added, but the way the platform works had to change. In the same year Medium suspended the organisation's blog account, claiming they were publishing articles about cryptocurrencies. The account was reinstated six hours later after an appeal.
The service does not charge a fee on donations aside from that required by its payment processors, instead financing its own activity through donations handled by the service itself in the same way as donations to third-parties are handled. As of October 2020, Liberapay uses payment processors PayPal and Stripe.
Liberapay shares similarities with the for-profit platform Patreon, but it does not allow creators to reward their patrons like Patreon does. This difference in the nature of the transactions has tax implications, for example Patreon collects VAT on all payments made from inside the European Union whereas Liberapay does not.
- Liberapay's translations on Weblate. Retrieved 2017-09-11.
- "Après un an d'activité, Liberapay veut être l'alternative libre pour les dons récurrents" [A year after its launch, Liberapay wants to be the open source alternative for recurrent donations] (in French). 2017-04-13. Archived from the original on 2017-09-16.
- "Introduction - Liberapay". Archived from the original on 2017-08-21.
- "Gratipay, Liberapay - Open source tipping apps struggle". P2P Foundation. 2016-03-11. Retrieved 2017-08-25.
- "Liberapay now supports US dollars". 2017-12-07. Archived from the original on 2018-02-09.
- "The third year of Liberapay". 2019-02-04.
- "Liberapay is in trouble". 2018-07-12.
- "Liberapay status update". 2018-10-12.
- S, James; March 26, ers in Cloud on; 2018; Pst, 5:32 Am. "Why passage of SESTA/FOSTA is leading some cloud providers to terminate users". TechRepublic. Retrieved 2020-10-03.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "Payment Processors - Liberapay". en.liberapay.com. Retrieved 2020-10-03.
- "archiveis - Liberapay". Archived from the original on 2017-07-11.
- "Wesnoth on Liberapay - The Battle for Wesnoth Forums". 2019-04-05. Archived from the original on 2020-02-28.
- "GIMP - Donate". 2020-02-28.
- "A Call to Arms: Supporting Matrix!". 2017-07-07.
- "Pepper&Carrot is now on Liberapay". 2017-07-13.
- "How does VAT work on Patreon?". 2018-03-25.
- Tweet from Liberapay about VAT, 2018-03-13.