Libertarian National Committee
|Headquarters||1444 Duke St,
Alexandria, Virginia, U.S.
Tim Hagan – Treasurer
Alicia Mattson – Secretary
The Libertarian National Committee (LNC) controls and manages the affairs, properties, and funds of the United States Libertarian Party. It is composed of the party officers, five at-large representatives elected every two years at the national convention, and a theoretical maximum of 10 regional representatives. The current chair, first elected in June 2014, is Nicholas Sarwark. The Executive Director is Wes Benedict.
The Libertarian National Committee is a separate entity from the "Libertarian National Congressional Committee", a Federal Elections Commission registered entity, now doing business as the "Libertarian National Campaign Committee."
List of LNC Chairs
|Paul K. Grant||1983–1985||Colorado|
In January 2018 LNC vice-chairman Arvin Vohra came under intense scrutiny for comments condoning sexual relations between adults and minors so long as affirmative consent is given, using the example of a 25 year-old male and a 15 year-old female.
In defense of his remarks on sexual relations with minors Vohra sought to draw moral equivalence between it and homosexuality, calling homosexuals who disagreed "hypocrites." The Libertarian Youth Caucus through founder Trent Somes III, one of Vohra's opponents in the election for vice chair of the Libertarian National Committee, called for Vohra's resignation. Multiple state Libertarian Party chapters demanded Vohra be relieved from his position, including the Libertarian Parties of Alaska, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Wisconsin.
On February 2, 2018 members of the LNC voted on whether or not to suspend Vohra from his position. The vote failed a two-thirds majority, and in response, popular Libertarian activist Larry Sharpe resigned from his position in the Committee as Region 8 Alternate.
- Harper, Jennifer (June 30, 2014). "Inside the Beltway: Libertarians shift into aggressive mode". The Washington Times. Retrieved July 1, 2014.
- Libertarian National Committee staff listing on national Libertarian Party website
- Campaign Law Case Brings Debate, Crowds; McCain-Feingold, Washington Post, December 5, 2002.
- Campaign: Federal Court Strikes Cornerstones Of Soft-money, The Free Lance–Star, Free Lance-Star - May 3, 2003.
- A Soft-Money Loophole?, CBS News, February 11, 2009.
- Libertarian National Committee Clarifies Lawsuit Against Limits on Donations to Parties from Bequests, Ballot Access News, July 25th, 2011.
- Libertarian National Congressional Committee Archived 2015-12-23 at the Wayback Machine. Federal Elections Commission filings page.
- Libertarian National Congressional Committee website.
- "LNC Vice Chair Arvin Vohra once again stirs controversy, calls for removal with age of consent comments". Independent Political Report. January 13, 2018. Retrieved January 22, 2018.
- "State Libertarian Parties Demand Removal of Arvin Vohra for Comments on Child Molestation". The Jack News. January 16, 2018. Retrieved January 19, 2018.
- Anderholt, Austin (January 12, 2018). "Libertarians Call for Party Vice Chair's Resignation Following Controversial Sexual Remarks Regarding Minors". Retrieved January 22, 2018.
- Kellog, Spencer (February 3, 2018). "Larry Sharpe Resigns Libertarian Party Leadership Post In Protest". 71Republic. Retrieved January 3, 2018.