|Part of a series on|
Sometimes the terms Republitarian or liberty Republican are used as well. Libertarian Republicans' views are similar to Libertarian Party members, but differ in regard to the strategy used to implement libertarian policies.
- 1 Principles
- 2 Organizations
- 3 Public figures
- 3.1 U.S. Representatives
- 3.2 U.S. Senators
- 3.3 U.S. State Attorneys General
- 3.4 U.S. State Governors
- 3.5 U.S. State Legislators
- 3.6 Authors and scholars
- 3.7 Others
- 4 See also
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Libertarian Republicans represent a political faction within the Republican Party. They are strong believers in the traditional Republican principle of economic libertarianism that was advocated by past presidential candidates such as Senator Robert A. Taft, Senator Barry Goldwater and Representative Ron Paul. Individuals who self-identify as libertarian Republicans do not necessarily share the same political beliefs across the spectrum, though there do seem to be several issues that bind them together, including beliefs in fiscal conservatism, personal responsibility, and personal liberty.
The most common belief libertarian Republicans share is fiscal conservatism – specifically, advocating for lower taxes at every level of government, a reduction in the level of spending in the federal budget, easing the burden of federal regulations on business interests, the reform of the entitlement system, and ending or making significant cuts to the welfare state. Additionally, they oppose budget deficits and deficit spending and work to minimize it as much as possible. Libertarian Republicans tend to support more fiscal conservatism than their mainstream counterparts in the party, and are less willing to abandon these principles for political expediency.
Libertarian Republicans often differ from traditional Republicans in their emphasis on protection of civil liberties. It is distinct from the Republican Party because it sees state-enforced conservative social policies as encroachments on personal privacy and individual liberties. Libertarian Republicans disagree with the activities of mainstream Republicans with regard to civil liberties since the September 11 attacks in 2001, opposing the PATRIOT Act, REAL ID, and President George W. Bush's domestic intelligence program.
Opposition to the use of the term libertarian Republican comes from the libertarian adherence to the Non-Aggression Principle, its core philosophy of voluntarism and lack of force against individuals, to which the Republican Party platform or philosophy does not adhere to.
The Republican Liberty Caucus was founded in 1991 at a meeting of a group of Florida members of the Libertarian Republican Organizing Committee attending a Young Republicans Convention. They included Philip Blumel, Tom Walls, Eric Rittberg, and Rex Curry and decided to develop a national Republican Liberty Caucus organization. The group represents the GOP's libertarian wing.
- U.S. Representative Justin Amash of Michigan
- U.S. Representative Kerry Bentivolio of Michigan
- U.S. Representative Paul Broun of Georgia
- U.S. Representative Jimmy Duncan of Tennessee
- U.S. Representative Michael Fitzpatrick of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Representative Scott Garrett of New Jersey
- U.S. Representative Walter B. Jones of North Carolina
- U.S. Representative Raúl Labrador of Idaho
- U.S. Representative Thomas Massie of Kentucky
- U.S. Representative Tom McClintock of California
- U.S. Representative Reid Ribble of Wisconsin 
- U.S. Representative Dana Rohrabacher of California
- U.S. Representative Mark Sanford of South Carolina
- U.S. Representative David Schweikert of Arizona
- U.S. Representative Steve Stockman of Texas
- U.S. Representative Ted Yoho of Florida
- U.S. Representative Trey Radel of Florida
- Former U.S. Representative Roscoe Bartlett of Maryland
- Former U.S. Representative Bob Barr of Georgia
- Former U.S. Representative Howard Buffett of Nebraska
- Former U.S. Representative Barry Goldwater, Jr. of California
- Former U.S. Representative H.R. Gross of Iowa
- Former U.S. Representative Connie Mack IV of Florida
- Former U.S. Representative Ron Paul of Texas
- Former U.S. Representative Joe Walsh of Illinois
- U.S. Senator Ted Cruz of Texas
- U.S. Senator Jeff Flake of Arizona
- U.S. Senator Mike Lee of Utah
- U.S. Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky
- U.S. Senator Steve Daines of Montana
- U.S. Senator Cory Gardner of Colorado
- U.S. Senator Lisa Murkowski of Alaska
- U.S. Senator Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania
- Former U.S. Senator Barry Goldwater of Arizona
- Former U.S. Senator Robert A. Taft of Ohio
- Former U.S. Senator George Frisbie Hoar of Massachusetts
U.S. State Attorneys General
U.S. State Governors
- Governor Sam Brownback of Kansas
- Governor Nikki Haley of South Carolina
- Governor Gary Herbert of Utah
- Governor Paul LePage of Maine
- Governor Pat McCrory of North Carolina
- Governor Butch Otter of Idaho
- Governor Mike Pence of Indiana
- Governor Brian Sandoval of Nevada
- Governor Rick Snyder of Michigan
- Governor Scott Walker of Wisconsin
- Former Governor Mitch Daniels of Indiana
- Former Governor Gary Johnson of New Mexico[disputed ]
- Former Governor William Weld of Massachusetts
U.S. State Legislators
- Senator Jim Tomes
- Senator Michael Baumgartner
Authors and scholars
- Nobel Prize–winning economist Milton Friedman
- Speechwriter and author Karl Hess (until the 1960s)
- Philosophy professor John Hospers
- Author Zora Neale Hurston
- Wall Street Journal writer Stephen Moore
- Economist and philosopher Murray Rothbard (until the 1950s)
- Economist Mark Skousen
- Radio talk show host Glenn Beck
- Radio talk show host Neal Boortz
- TV personality Tucker Carlson
- Radio talk show host Jerry Doyle
- Actor and filmmaker Clint Eastwood
- Radio talk show host Larry Elder 
- FOX News Host of Red Eye w/ Greg Gutfeld/Contributor Greg Gutfeld
- Radio talk show host and political commentator Jack Hunter
- TV personality Dennis Miller
- Political activist Grover Norquist
- Humorist P. J. O'Rourke
- Businessman Wayne Allyn Root
- Investment broker Peter Schiff
- Hedge fund manager Mark Spitznagel
- Paypal founder Peter Thiel
- Actor Vince Vaughn
- Former Chairman of the Federal Reserve Alan Greenspan
- Factions in the Republican Party
- Liberty Caucus
- Libertarian conservatism
- Libertarian Democrat
- Old Right
- Republican Liberty Caucus
- South Park Republican
- Position Statement: Republican Liberty Caucus[dead link]. Republican Liberty Caucus, 3-2011. Retrieved April 16, 2011.
- RLC Members Push Platform Changes in States[dead link]. Republican Liberty Caucus, 7-22-2008. Retrieved April 16, 2011.
- "Libertarianism is based on a single ideal, the non-aggression principle," 11-06-2013. Retrieved March 14, 2014.
- History of the Republican Liberty Caucus[dead link]. Republican Liberty Caucus, 2-20-2011. Retrieved April 16, 2011.
- "Justin Amash Defends Congress' Only Libertarian Seat: Democrats (and at least one moderate Republican) are taking aim at the "next Ron Paul."". Reason.com. 2012-05-30. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "The libertarian-leaning Kerry Bentivolio secured his first elected position by running as an outsider, even battling the local GOP establishment during the primary". Public.cq.com. 2012-11-07. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "Georgia's Paul Broun looks to pick up where Ron Paul left off | Washington Times Communities". Communities.washingtontimes.com. 2013-01-05. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- Republican Liberty Caucus Liberty Index: 2009[dead link]. Retrieved April 16, 2011.
- Rep. Michael Fitzpatrick's Voting Record. GovTrack. Retrieved April 16, 2011.
- "Rachel Lea Hunter For Justice". Rachelforjustice.com. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- "Raul Labrador on the Issues". Ontheissues.org. 2013-04-13. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
Raul Labrador is a Libertarian-Leaning Conservative.
- "Rep. Raul Labrador (ID-01) | Young Americans for Liberty". Yaliberty.org. 2012-11-06. Retrieved 2013-07-14.
- "Thomas Massie on the Issues". House.ontheissues.org. 2012-12-06. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
Thomas Massie is a Libertarian Conservative.
- "RLC-WI Praises Ribble For Defending Liberties | Republican Liberty Caucus of Wisconsin". Wi.rlc.org. 2011-12-15. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- The earliest libertarian to gain standing within the Republican Party was Dana Rohrabacher.[dead link]
- RLC Encourages Mark Sanford to Run for President[dead link]. Republican Liberty Caucus, 6-11-2009. Retrieved April 16, 2011.
- "David Schweikert on the Issues". Ontheissues.org. 2013-04-08. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
David Schweikert is a Libertarian-Leaning Conservative.
- August 5, 2012 (2012-08-05). "There is no question about Stockman’s philosophy or which way he will vote – he will vote libertarian, which is fine for most conservatives". Bigjollypolitics.com. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- Giunta, Eric (2012-08-18). "North Central Florida’s new Republican congressional nominee is a self-styled “conservative Christian Republican with a libertarian slant”". Sunshinestatenews.com. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "Twitter / treyradel: Listen close 2 @tedcruz. The". Twitter.com. Retrieved 2013-11-07.
- "Bob Barr, Civil Libertarian". Reason.com. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "Rothbard: My two favorite congressmen were Howard Buffett of Nebraska and Frederick C. Smith of Ohio". Lewrockwell.com. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- Barry Goldwater, Jr. Endorses Ron Paul for President. 12-3-2007. Retrieved April 19, 2011.
- "Ron Paul: The words of H.R. Gross, the great libertarian-conservative congressman from Iowa, ring as true today as they did during a budget debate in 1974". Lewrockwell.com. 2004-06-29. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- Giunta, Eric (2012-08-14). "Connie Mack Wins by a Grand Canyon in the Early Going". Sunshine State News. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- Top Liberty Index Scorers U.S. Reps. Paul and Flake Vote For DADT Repeal[dead link]. Republican Liberty Caucus, 12-18-2010. Retrieved April 16, 2011.
- "Joe Walsh on the Issues". Ontheissues.org. 2012-09-16. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
Joe Walsh is a Libertarian-Leaning Conservative.
- Joe Walsh (R-IL 8th). "Ron Paul endorses Joe Walsh". Libertypac.com. Retrieved 2013-06-24.[dead link]
- Senator Ted Cruz Political Positions. VoteSmart. Retrieved November 19, 2012.
- Senator Jeff Flake Voting Record. GovTrack. Retrieved November 19, 2012.
- "Mike Lee on the Issues". Ontheissues.org. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
Mike Lee is a Libertarian-Leaning Conservative.
- Community Contributer (2013-07-09). "Libertarian Republicans Not Ready To Dub Edward Snowden A Hero". Buzzfeed.com. Retrieved 2013-07-14.
- Senator Rand Paul Voting Record. GovTrack. Retrieved April 16, 2011.
- "Video: Rand Paul sees a Libertarian future for the GOP « Hot Air". Hotair.com. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "Steve Daines on the Issues".
- "Cory Gardner on the Issues".
- "Lisa Murkowski on the Issues".
- "Republican Liberty Caucus Endorses John Hostettler and Pat Toomey | Republican Liberty Caucus". Rlc.org. 2010-04-21. Retrieved 2013-06-24.[dead link]
- "Libertarian(ish) Candidates". Reason.com. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- Fools Goldwater. National Review, 7-30-2006. Retrieved April 16, 2011.
- "The ideas for which Taft spoke – those of the "isolationist," libertarian, and Republican Old Right – seemed discredited as well". Antiwar.com. 1999-07-13. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- Brendan, Michael (2011-03-28). "“Frisbie Hoar was saying then the same things Ron Paul is saying today,” Church avers". Theamericanconservative.com. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "VA Gubernatorial Candidate Ken Cuccinelli on Marijuana Legalization". Ivn.us. 2013-02-19. Retrieved 2013-07-28.
- "Libertarian-leaning Cuccinelli surging in VA!". Libertarian Republican. 2013-05-04. Retrieved 2013-07-01.
- "Sam Brownback on the Issues". Ontheissues.org. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
Sam Brownback is a Libertarian-Leaning Conservative.
- Libertarians and Conservatives should rally around Nikki Haley. RedState, 8-2-2009. Retrieved April 16, 2011.
- "Gary Herbert on the Issues". Ontheissues.org. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
Gary Herbert is a Moderate Libertarian Conservative.
- LePage delights pro-lifers and libertarians with PP defunding. LibertarianRepublican.net, 5-17-2012. Retrieved August 14, 2012.
- "Pat McCrory on the Issues". Ontheissues.org. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
Pat McCrory is a Moderate Libertarian Conservative.
- Times. "Butch Otter: Evolution of a Libertarian - Spokesman.com - May 16, 2009". Spokesman.com. Retrieved 2013-07-14.
- "Idaho Gov. Butch Otter emerges as leader of nationwide Repeal Obama Care States' Rights movement". Libertarian Republican. 2010-03-18. Retrieved 2013-07-14.
- "Mike Pence: "Fiscal and Military Hawk" - Could he attract Pro-Defense libertarian support?". Libertarian Republican. 2010-12-27. Retrieved 2013-07-14.
- "Has Mike Pence, As Governor, Forgotten He's a Fiscal Conservative? | Cato Institute". Cato.org. 2013-06-15. Retrieved 2013-07-14.
- "Brian Sandoval on the Issues". Ontheissues.org. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
Brian Sandoval is a Moderate Libertarian Conservative.
- Vogellas, Ed (2013-06-12). "Sandoval signs bill setting up medical marijuana dispensaries | Las Vegas Review-Journal". Reviewjournal.com. Retrieved 2013-07-28.
- "Rick Snyder on the Issues". Ontheissues.org. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
Rick Snyder is a Moderate Libertarian Conservative.
- "BREAKING NEWS: Michigan nullifies NDAA’s indefinite detention | Washington Times Communities". Communities.washingtontimes.com. Retrieved 2013-12-28.
- "Scott Walker on the Issues". Ontheissues.org. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
Scott Walker is a Libertarian-Leaning Conservative.
- "Scott Walker Hails the Rise of Libertarian-Leaning Governors - Hit & Run". Reason.com. 2012-08-31. Retrieved 2013-06-30.
- "Mitch Daniels on the Issues". Ontheissues.org. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
Mitch Daniels is a Libertarian Conservative.
- Former NM Governor Johnson courts Ron Paul's libertarian base. The DailyCaller, 2-11-2010. Retrieved April 16, 2011.
- "Johnson said he's open to running as a Republican again". New Mexico Telegram. 12 June 2013. Retrieved 16 June 2013.
- Bill Weld Drops out of New York Gubernatorial Race. Fox News, 6-6-2006. Retrieved April 16, 2011.
- "“I consider myself a libertarian in a lot of ways,” he says. “I think the government should get out of your bedroom, off your back, and out of your wallet. That is, I think, the traditional northeast libertarian viewpoint.”". Reason.com. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "He is not really comfortable with the libertarian label, preferring to call himself a “libertarian-leaning constitutional conservative,” but most of his positions align with mainstream libertarian ideas. He is hostile to the drug war, favors a non-interventionist foreign policy, and embraces Austrian economics". Reason.com. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "Representative Paul Curtman Biography - Project Vote Smart". Votesmart.org. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- "Representative Melissa Leach Political Summary - Project Vote Smart". Votesmart.org. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- Bowman, Gigi (2012-04-20). "Liberty candidate Glen Bradley endorsed by Ron Paul". Gigibowman.com. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "Studying for final in Tom DiLorenzo's "Rothbardian Analysis of the State," giving props to the Mises Institute". Twitter.com. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- Milton Friedman on the Charlie Rose Show. PBS, November 2005. Retrieved April 16, 2011.
- Advocates for Self-Government: Karl Hess[dead link]. Retrieved April 16, 2011.
- Republican Liberty Caucus: What People Are Saying[dead link]. Retrieved April 16, 2011.
- Beito, David T. and Linda Royster Beito. Isabel Paterson, Rose Wilder Lane, and Zora Neale Hurston on War, Race, the State, and Liberty. The Independent Institute, The Independent Review, Spring-08. Retrieved April 19, 2011.
- Republican Liberty Caucus 2006 Convention Summary. Retrieved April 16, 2011.
- David Leonhardt. Free for All. The New York Times, 4-1-2007. Retrieved April 16, 2011.
- "Libertarian Republican". Libertarian Republican. 2011-09-25. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- Pro-Defense libertarian Neal Boortz Speaker at Florida Cato Function. LibertarianRepublican.net, 2-10-2011. Retrieved April 16, 2011.
- Tucker Carlson Joins the Cato Institute. Cato Institute, Cato-at-liberty.org, 7-28-2009. Retrieved April 19, 2011.
- "Today he is the libertarian-leaning host of The Jerry Doyle Show, a daily three-hour program about politics and culture syndicated by the Talk Radio Network". Jerrydoyle.com. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- Clint Eastwood talks to Jeff Dawson. The Guardian (UK), 6-1-2008. Retrieved April 19, 2011.
- Larry Elder on NNDB. NNDB. Retrieved April 16, 2011.
- "Conservative, libertarian, independent.". Southern Avenger. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- Currie, Duncan. Dennis The Right-Wing Menace?. National Review, 6-27-2003. Retrieved April 19, 2011.
- Hunter, Jack (2012-11-30). "In Defense of Grover Norquist". The American Conservative. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- Reason interviews libertarian Republican P.J. O'Rourke[dead link]. Republican LIberty Caucus, 7-7-2009. Retrieved April 16, 2011.
- Quinn, Garrett (September 14, 2012). "An Exit Interview With Wayne Allyn Root". Reason. Retrieved September 14, 2012.
- January 28, 2012 (2012-01-28). "Peter Schiff: Libertarians Need To Infiltrate The GOP". Westernjournalism.com. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- Bradley, Richard (December 1, 2014). "The Goat Whisperer". Worth.
- Smith, Ben (September 14, 2012). "They're gay, conservative and proud". Politico. Retrieved September 14, 2012.
- Hunter, Jack (September 14, 2012). "Why Vince Vaughn supports Ron Paul". The Daily Caller. Retrieved September 14, 2012.