Libertarian perspectives on immigration
|Part of a series on|
Free immigration (free movement of people) is often regarded as one of the core concepts of libertarian theory and philosophy. Some libertarians assert that: "Efforts by the government to manage the labor market are as apt to fail as similar efforts to protect domestic industries or orchestrate industrial policy. ... If an immigrant seeks to engage in peaceful, voluntary transactions that do not threaten the freedom or security of the native-born, the government should not interfere."
Libertarian proponents of free immigration
This is a huge debate among people who otherwise swear fealty to "limited government." Many people who claim to want freedom seem to have no problem with the implications of a closed-border policy: national IDs, national work permits, non-stop surveillance, harassment of all businesses, a "papers please" culture, mass deportation, tens of billions in waste, bureaucrats wrecking the American dream, broken families, [and] the rights of Americans and foreigners transgressed at every turn.
- Brennan, Jason (2012). Libertarianism, What Everyone Needs to Know. Oxford University Press. pp. 42, 50, 119, 125.
[Libertarians] believe everyone has the right to take employment in any other country, regardless of citizenship. They hold that, except in special circumstances, governments may not forbid citizens from leaving a country, nor may governments forbid foreigners from entering. (Page 42)
- Brennan, Jason. "Immigration Rights". Libertarianism.org. Retrieved 2016-09-21.
- Griswold, Dan (2008). "Immigration". In Hamowy, Ronald. The Encyclopedia of Libertarianism. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, Cato Institute. pp. 235–37, at p. 236. ISBN 978-1-4129-6580-4. LCCN 2008009151. OCLC 750831024. doi:10.4135/9781412965811.n145.
- "Counter-Economics: what it is, how it works" (PDF). agorism.info. Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 March 2009.
- Hornberger, Jacob (November 1, 1994). "The Case for Unilateral Free Trade and Open Immigration". The Future of Freedom Foundation. Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- Hornberger, Jacob (February 1, 2000). "Let’s Stick with Traditional American Values!". The Future of Freedom Foundation. Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- Hornberger, Jacob (May 19, 2016). "Open Borders Is the Only Libertarian Immigration Position". The Future of Freedom Foundation. Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- "Jeffrey A. Tucker". Foundation for Economic Education. Retrieved May 27, 2016.
- Tucker, Jeffrey (2015-09-14). "Why Open Borders?". Foundation for Economic Education. Retrieved 2016-11-20.
- Tucker, Jeffrey (2016-08-26). "Five Differences Between the Alt-Right and Libertarianism". Foundation for Economic Education. Retrieved 2016-11-05.