|Founded||21 March 2009|
|Headquarters||Realco Buildings, Triq Imħallef Paolo Debono, Msida (University Roundabout), Malta|
|Ideology||anti-Lisbon Treaty, Euroscepticism|
|European affiliation||Libertas Party Limited|
|European Parliament group||none|
Libertas Malta was a political party in Malta set up to contest the 2009 European Parliament elections under a common banner with Libertas.eu. Its only candidate Mary Gauci failed to be elected and the party has been inactive since.
Plans of Libertas.eu's leader Declan Ganley to cooperate with the Maltese Azzjoni Nazzjonali (AN) on contesting the 2009 European Parliament elections didn't realize. However, Mary Gauci, AN's former vice-president decided to run under the banner of Libertas.
On 21 March 2009, Ganley announced the establishment of the party Libertas Malta. Mary Gauci, announced as party leader, advanced the issues of democracy, accountability, transparency, subsidiarity, a concise constitution passed by referenda, and illegal immigration.
In the European Parliament election held that year Gauci got only 314 first-preference votes out of 248,169 valid votes cast (i.e. 0.1%).
- "Jiktbu l-kandidati: 5 April 2009: Nr 126: Mary Gauci - Libertas", 5 April 2009, from http://www.illum.com.mt
- "AN ponders contesting EP elections under Libertas banner". Malta Today. 31 December 2008.
- "Former AN official to contest for Libertas MEP". Malta Today on Sunday. 8 February 2009.
- Updated: New political group launched, Times of Malta, Saturday 21 March 2009
- "Mary Gauci to lead Libertas Malta in EP elections", Malta Independent, 22 March 2009.