Liberty Bell Park bus bombing
|2004 Jerusalem bus No. 14A suicide bombing|
|Part of the Second Intifada militancy campaign|
|Date||February 22, 2004|
8:30 am (GMT+2)
|Deaths||8 Israeli civilians (+ 1 bomber)|
|60 Israeli civilians|
|Perpetrators||Al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades claimed responsibility|
The Liberty Bell Park bus bombing was the suicide bombing of Egged bus #14a in Jerusalem, Israel, on February 22, 2004. Eight passengers were killed in the attack and over 60 people were injured, many of them children on their way to school. The Al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades claimed responsibility for the attack.
On Sunday, February 22, 2004, during the morning rush hour, a Palestinian suicide bomber got on the 14a bus traveling to downtown Jerusalem. The suicide bomber had an explosive device hidden in a backpack which was stuffed with metal scraps to maximize casualties. Police believe he boarded the bus in the Talpiot industrial zone.
The suicide bomber waited for the bus to fill up with passengers. At approximately 8:30 am, as the bus passed Liberty Bell park on the edge of Emek Refaim, the main street of the German Colony, he detonated the explosive device.
Eight people were killed in the attack and more than 60 people were injured, 11 of whom were schoolchildren.
The al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades claimed responsibility for the attack and stated that the attacker was 23-year-old Mohammed Zaul from the village of Husan in the West Bank. After the attack a video of the suicide bomber was released in which Zaul claimed he carried out the attack in revenge "for the massacre perpetrated by Israel against the Palestinians."
- Involved parties
- "CNN.com - Transcripts". Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "Bomber Kills 8, Self On Bus In Jerusalem". Sun Sentinel. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- Suicide bombing of Egged bus no. 14A in Jerusalem
- "USATODAY.com - At least 8 die in Israel bus blast". Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- Israel Ilan Avisidris
- Lior Azulai
- Yaffa Ben-Shimol
- Rahamim Doga
- Yehuda Haim
- St.-Sgt. Netanel Havshush
- Yuval Ozana
- Benayahu Zuckerman
- "Jerusalem Bus Bombing Kills 8, Wounds 59 (washingtonpost.com)". Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "ynet למרות הפיגוע: לא צפויה תגובה חריפה מצד ישראל - חדשות". ynet. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "Jerusalem bus blast". The Sun. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "Newsday - The Long Island and New York City News Source". Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- Suicide bombing of Egged bus no. 14A in Jerusalem - published at the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- At least 8 die in Israel bus blast - published on USA Today on February 22, 2004
- Jerusalem suicide bomber kills eight - published on the Jerusalem Post on February 23, 2004
- Jerusalem Suicide Blast Kills 8 - published on CBS News on February 23, 2004