This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Public limited company|
|Traded as||NASDAQ: LBTYA
NASDAQ-100 Components (LBTYA and LBTYK)
|Founded||2005 in Douglas County, Colorado, United States|
|Headquarters||London, England, United Kingdom|
|John C. Malone
(President and CEO)
|Products||Broadband internet, cable television, telephony, mobile, direct-broadcast satellite|
|Revenue||US$ 18.248 billion (2014)|
|US$ 2.228 billion (2014)|
|Total assets||US$ 72.841 billion (2014)|
|Total equity||US$ 14.116 billion (2014)|
|Owner||John C. Malone|
Number of employees
|35,000 (31 December 2013)|
Liberty Global plc is an American, British-based telecommunications and television company. It was formed in 2005 by the merger of the international arm of Liberty Media and UGC (UnitedGlobalCom), and is one of the largest broadband internet service providers in the world.
Since 2013, Liberty Global is the world's largest international cable company, with operations in 14 countries, and 35,000 employees. As of 31 December 2013, it had an annual revenue of $17.3 billion. Its cable services pass 47 million homes, with 24.5 million customers or 48.3 million RGUs (video, internet, and voice subscribers).
On 7 June 2013, Liberty Global completed the acquisition of British cable group Virgin Media for $24 billion. In January 2013, Liberty Global raised its stake in Belgium-based Telenet from 50.2% to 58%. Liberty agreed on 28 October to sell Chellomedia for $1.035 billion except for its Benelux unit to AMC Networks. It was reported that this acquisition would make Liberty Global the largest broadband company in the world.
On 27 January 2014, Liberty Global announced it would be acquiring Dutch cable company Ziggo for €10 billion. The acquisition was completed in November 2014, when the services of UPC Nederland began to be merged into the new business.
On 3 July 2015 it was announced that Liberty Global (via its Irish cable company Virgin Media Ireland) had bought The TV3 Group for €80 million from Doughty Hanson. The deal may also deliver a further €7million should TV3 meet certain performance targets. The deal will need regulatory approval by Competition and Consumer Protection Commission as well as a media plurality test by the Department of Communications.
Horizon TV is today Liberty Global's flagship platform with more than 10 million first-generation Horizon TV devices sold.
The first-generation Horizon TV is a cross-platform media platform and high-definition DVR/PVR set-top-box with 6 DVB-C Tuners, (with the Linux for embedded systems hardware manufactured by Samsung as model "SMT-G7400"), which uses XBMC Media Center software as its main graphical user interface on-top a hidden proprietary middle-ware framework for video on demand and handling DRM for streaming multimedia. It was announced in September 2012, and was introduced by Dutch cable operator UPC Nederland under the brand name "UPC Horizon TV".
The second-generation Horizon TV platform is however no longer based on XBMC, as the second-generation Horizon TV instead uses technology from RDK and other vendors. In some deployments for low end devices there has also been some use of ActiveVideo's CloudTV platform.
Liberty Global's operations in the Americas consists of Liberty Puerto Rico, a provider of pay TV, Internet, and telephone services in Puerto Rico and VTR, a Chilean cable provider of television, telephone, mobile and internet services.
Through the now completed acquisition of Cable and Wireless Communications, Liberty Global has become the owner of the largest pay-TV and broadband provider in the Caribbean, FLOW as well as BTC (Bahamas Telephone Company) and Cable and Wireless Panama, as well as a key player in mobile (competing against wireless heavyweight, Digicel in all most FLOW territories) and owner of offshore undersea fiber links to and from the region as well.
In addition, the company also owns CWC's operations in the Seychelles named Cable and Wireless Seychelles, providing fixed broadband and voice, pay-TV and mobile voice and broadband to the islands of Seychelles.
Liberty Global serves 12 countries in Europe, and is the largest cable operator in Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Ireland, the Netherlands, Poland, Slovakia, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
- All3Media (50% ownership with Discovery Communications)
- ITV plc (United Kingdom) (10% shareholding)
- Telenet (Belgium) (58% ownership)
- UPC Broadband
- UPC DTH
- UPC Direct (Hungary)
- freeSAT (Czech Republic and Slovakia)
- Focus Sat (Romania)
- Unitymedia (Germany)
- Virgin Media (United Kingdom)
- Virgin Media Ireland (Republic of Ireland)
- Ziggo/Vodafone Netherlands (Netherlands) (50% joint venture with Vodafone)
- "Liberty Global Reports Fiscal 2014 Results" (PDF). Liberty Global. 13 February 2015. Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- "Form 10-K". Liberty Global. 2013. Retrieved 13 February 2011.
- "Liberty Global to buy Virgin Media for $23.3bn". BBC News. 6 February 2013. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- "About Us". Liberty Global. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- Tartaglione, Nancy. (28 October 2013) AMC Networks To Pay $1B For Liberty Global’s Chellomedia. Deadline.com. Accessed on 28 October 2013.
- Briel, Robert (27 January 2014). "Liberty Global to acquire Ziggo for €10bn". Broadband TV News. Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- Clover, Julian (17 July 2014). "Liberty Global makes £481m investment in ITV". Broadband TV News. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- "UPC Ireland to acquire broadcaster TV3 in deal worth up to €87m". RTÉ News. 3 July 2015.
- Thomson, Amy (17 September 2014). "Vodafone-Liberty Global Deal Is Way to End Duel: Real M&A". Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved 8 July 2015.
- "Liberty Global to Acquire Cable and Wireless in $5.3 Billion Deal". Bloomberg. 17 November 2015. Retrieved 17 November 2015.
- http://opensource.samsung.com/reception/receptionSub.do?method=sub&sub=T&menu_item=tv_n_video&classification1=set-top_box Samsung Opensource Release Center TV & Video Set-top Box SMT-G7400
- http://www.libertyglobal.com/PDF/horizon/Horizon-TV-FINAL.pdf Liberty Global Launches Horizon TV
- http://www.digitaltveurope.net/102442/liberty-global-outlines-horizon-upgrade-plans-future-vision-and-lessons/ Liberty Global outlines Horizon upgrade plans, future vision and lessons
- http://www.digitaltveurope.net/99942/liberty-partners-with-activevideo-for-horizon/ Liberty partners with ActiveVideo for Horizon
- "Strategische Beteiligung von upc cablecom an der e-fon AG". e-fon. 1 October 2013.