Liberty High School (New Jersey)
|Liberty High School|
|299 Sip Avenue
Jersey City, NJ 07306
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||Soar to Succeed|
|School district||Jersey City Public Schools|
|Principal||Larry D. Odoms|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Enrollment||197 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||8.6:1|
|Color(s)||Red, white and Blue|
Liberty High School is a four-year public high school located in Jersey City, in Hudson County, New Jersey, United States, serving students in ninth through twelfth grades as part of the Jersey City Public Schools. The school was established in September 1999 as a partnership between the Jersey City Board of Education and Hudson County Community College.
The school is intended to offer a very small learning community, in contrast to the large comprehensive high schools in the district, offering a family-like atmosphere where students feel involved, supported and challenged.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 197 students and 23.0 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 8.6:1. There were 108 students (54.8% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 17 (8.6% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 268th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 186th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 163rd in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 245th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 249th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state. Schooldigger.com ranked the school 273rd out of 367 public high schools statewide in its 2009-10 rankings which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the language arts literacy and mathematics components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
The school symbol is an eagle.
- School data for Liberty High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Mission Statement, Liberty High School. Accessed August 12, 2008.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed December 2, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed September 5, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2009-2010, Schooldigger.com. Accessed December 29, 2011.
- Liberty High School Uniform Policy, Jersey City Public Schools. Accessed March 9, 2009.
- Liberty High School
- Jersey City Public Schools
- Jersey City Public Schools's 2015–16 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Jersey City Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics