Liberty National Golf Club
Clubhouse in February 2012
|Location||Jersey City, New Jersey|
|Owned by||Paul Fireman|
|Greens||Bentgrass - A4|
|Fairways||Bentgrass - L93|
Lindsay Newman |
Architecture & Design,
Robert Cupp &
|Length||7,353 yards (6,724 m)|
|Course record||62 Kevin Chappell (2013)|
Liberty National is a country club in Jersey City, New Jersey. Its clubhouse, guest villas, teaching super center, and halfway house referred to as "Cafe 12" were designed by Lindsay Newman Architecture and Design and with a 7,353-yard (6,724 m) course designed by Robert E. Cupp and Tom Kite.
The club cost over $250 million to build, making it one of the most expensive golf courses in history. Club designers added amenities such as an on-site helistop, yacht services, spa, and restaurant. Nine hundred adjacent homes, slated to be built in the coming years, are projected to cost $1.5 to $5 million. Liberty National is noted as a unique course because of its proximity to both the Statue of Liberty and Manhattan, as well as having been built on a former landfill.
Liberty National hosted The Barclays, formerly the Westchester Classic, in 2009; Westchester Country Club decided it would no longer host the event after forty years of doing so. Heath Slocum won at 275 (–9), one stroke ahead of four runners-up. It hosted The Barclays again in August 2013, prior to which the course underwent many changes.
Liberty National has notable members such as:
- Rudolph W. Giuliani
- Cristie Kerr
- Robert Kraft
- Eli Manning
- Phil Mickelson
- Justin Timberlake
- Mark Wahlberg
- Matt Harvey
- "Fact Sheet : The Barclays". GCSAA. 2013. Retrieved August 22, 2013.
- "The Barclays: Course". PGA Tour. 2013. Retrieved August 22, 2013.
- "The Presidents Cup" (PDF). GCSAA. Tournament fact sheets. September 2017. Retrieved April 25, 2018.
- "Course Rating and Slope Database: Liberty National Golf Club". USGA. Retrieved April 25, 2018.
- Hack, Damon (May 16, 2007). "PGA Tournament With a View of the New York City Skyline". The New York Times. Retrieved August 19, 2008.
- "$129-million Liberty National Golf Course Opens in Jersey City". New Jersey Business. 54 (8). August 2006. Retrieved August 23, 2013.
- "Barclays tournament to Liberty National in 2009". USA Today. May 16, 2007. Retrieved August 19, 2008.
- "This Week in Golf - August 21st through August 24th". August 18, 2008. Archived from the original on May 25, 2011. Retrieved August 19, 2008.
- "Liberty National's hole-by-hole changes". PGA Tour. August 20, 2013. Retrieved August 22, 2013.