Liberty Township, Clinton County, Ohio
|Liberty Township, Clinton County, Ohio|
Countryside in southwestern Liberty Township
Location of Liberty Township in Clinton County
|• Total||24.8 sq mi (64.3 km2)|
|• Land||24.6 sq mi (63.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|Elevation||1,030 ft (314 m)|
|• Density||43/sq mi (16.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085881|
Liberty Township is one of the thirteen townships of Clinton County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census reported 1,067 people living in the township, 813 of whom were in the unincorporated portions.
Located in the northern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Jefferson Township, Greene County - northeast
- Wilson Township - east
- Union Township - south
- Chester Township - west
- Caesarscreek Township, Greene County - northwest
The entire township lies in the Virginia Military District.
The village of Port William is located in northern Liberty Township.
Name and history
Liberty Township was organized in 1817.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- Clinton County Historical Society. Clinton County, Ohio, 1982. Wilmington, Ohio: The Society, 1982.
- Ohio Atlas & Gazetteer. 6th ed. Yarmouth, Maine: DeLorme, 2001. ISBN 0-89933-281-1
- Ohio. Secretary of State. The Ohio municipal and township roster, 2002-2003. Columbus, Ohio: The Secretary, 2003.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Liberty township, Clinton County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved January 22, 2015.
- Brown, Albert J. (1915). History of Clinton County, Ohio: Its People, Industries, and Institutions. B.F. Bowen. p. 280.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). "The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary". Scott and Wright. p. 272. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.