Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guidelines for companies and organizations. (November 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Type||Private medical school
|Dean||Peter A. Bell, DO|
|Location||Lynchburg, Virginia, USA|
Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine (LUCOM) is a private graduate medical school located in Lynchburg, Virginia. It is one of the 17 colleges and schools located in Liberty University. Liberty School of Medicine is the second osteopathic school in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the thirtieth in the county.
In August 2014 Liberty University opened the college of osteopathic medicine, also known as LUCOM. The college is housed in a new 144,000-square-foot, $40 million building completed in 2014 next to Candler Mountain. The college features a Christian faith-based curriculum consistent with Liberty University's mission statement in addition to the accepted curriculum expected of recognized accredited colleges of osteopathic medicine. The college received provisional accreditation from the American Osteopathic Association through the American Osteopathic Association Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation in 2013 and is eligible for full accreditation in 2018. The college has secured long-term affiliations with Halifax Health, the Johnson Health Center, LifePoint, and a 30-year clinical clerkship and graduate medical education affiliation with Centra Health that includes a commitment of clinical rotations for 80 students per year.
In July 2015 the college of osteopathic medicine opened Liberty Mountain Medical Group LLC, a primary care clinic serving the greater Lynchburg area. The clinic is staffed by licensed physicians from the college's professors as well as clinicians from Central Virginia Family Physicians. The clinic will offer a range of services such as family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics and sports medicine, as well as medical labs and x-ray machines. The clinic is able to serve approximately 180 patients daily. The clinic will also provide opportunities for students of the college to gain access to and participate in the care of patients as well as shadow specialists.
Liberty exists to educate osteopathic physicians in a Christian environment. LUCOM prepares physicians who dedicate themselves to excellence in the practice of osteopathic medicine through service toward their fellow man, life long learning, and the advancement of medical knowledge. Instilling the Christian values of integrity and professionalism, LUCOM trains physicians who will provide ethical, compassionate, competent, and patient-centered osteopathic medical care.
- "Liberty University College rankings". US News and World Reports. Retrieved 2017-09-10.
- "Liberty University readies new medical school". Lynchburg News and Advance. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- Schierhorn, Carolyn (February 5, 2014). "New school aims to meld Christian worldview, dedication to underserved". The DO.
- "Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine" (PDF). AACOM infobook. American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine.
- "Centra, Liberty University sign 30-year affiliation agreement". Lynchburg News and Advance. Retrieved 2014-11-11.
- "Liberty Mountain Medical will open June 29". Lynchburg News and Advance. Retrieved 2015-05-22.
- "The doctor will see you now at a new Lynchburg medical partnership". Lynchburg News and Advance. Retrieved 2015-07-14.
- "LUCOM partners with local family physicians to open community care clinic". WSLS.com. Retrieved 2015-06-15.