Libertyville Township, Lake County, Illinois
Location in Lake County
Lake County's location in Illinois
|Established||November 6, 1849|
|• Supervisor||Kathleen M. O'Connor|
|• Total||36.5 sq mi (94.6 km2)|
|• Land||35.4 sq mi (91.7 km2)|
|• Water||1.1 sq mi (2.9 km2)|
|Elevation||659 ft (201 m)|
| • Estimate |
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
Libertyville Township is a township in Lake County, Illinois, USA. As of the 2010 census, its population was 53,139. The village of Libertyville is part of the township, as are parts of Green Oaks, Lake Bluff, Lake Forest, Mettawa, Mundelein, North Chicago, Rondout, Vernon Hills and Waukegan.
Libertyville Township covers an area of 36.5 square miles (94.6 km2); of this, 1.1 square miles (2.9 km2) or 3.02 percent is water. Lakes in this township include Big Bear Lake, Harvey Lake, Liberty Lake, Little Bear Lake, Minear Lake and West Lake. The stream of Bull Creek runs through this township.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
In 1985, Libertyville Township established the first Township Open Space District in Illinois. This innovative land protection program was funded by a 22.6 million-dollar bond referendum approved by the residents of Libertyville Township. The Open Space Bond was retired fully paid in October 2003. Since land acquisition began in 1986, over 1,500 acres (6.1 km2) of irreplaceable open space have been protected with these funds. Two of these sites, Oak Openings and Liberty Prairie, have also received the state's highest protection status as Illinois Nature Preserves.
Cities and towns
- Green Oaks
- Lake Forest (western edge)
- Mettawa (northwest portion)
- Mundelein (eastern edge)
- North Chicago (western edge)
- Vernon Hills (northern half)
- Waukegan (western edge)
- Warren Township (north)
- Waukegan Township (northeast)
- Shields Township (east)
- West Deerfield Township (southeast)
- Vernon Township (south)
- Ela Township (southwest)
- Fremont Township (west)
- Avon Township (northwest)
The township contains three cemeteries: Ascension, Lake County Poor Farm and Lakeside.
- Interstate 94
- U.S. Route 45
- Illinois State Route 21
- Illinois State Route 43
- Illinois State Route 60
- Illinois State Route 137
- Illinois State Route 176
Airports and landing strips
- Condell Memorial Hospital Heliport
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Libertyville township, Lake County, Illinois". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 19, 2012.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.