|Developer(s)||Azat Khuzhin, Mark Ellzey, Nick Mathewson, Niels Provos|
|Initial release||April 9, 2002|
2.1.8 / January 22, 2017
|Platform||Unix-like, Windows, OS X|
libevent is a software library that provides asynchronous event notification. The libevent API provides a mechanism to execute a callback function when a specific event occurs on a file descriptor or after a timeout has been reached. libevent also supports callbacks triggered by signals and regular timeouts.
libevent is meant to replace the event loop found in event-driven network servers. An application can just call
event_dispatch() and then add or remove events dynamically without having to change the event loop.
Currently, libevent supports
select(2), Windows IOCP,
epoll(4) and Solaris event ports. It also has experimental support for real-time signals. The exposed event API is uniform over all of the supported platforms. As a result, libevent allows for portable application development and provides "the most scalable event notification mechanism available on an operating system".
Using callbacks on signals, libevent makes it possible to write "secure" signal handlers as none of the user supplied signal handling code runs in the signal's context.
|This section does not cite any sources. (June 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Some of the notable applications that take advantage of libevent are:
- Google Chrome: Google's web browser (Mac and Linux versions)
- Memcached: a high-performance, distributed memory object caching system
- Transmission: an open-source BitTorrent client
- ntpd: the Network Time Protocol daemon
- Tor: an anonymous Internet communication system
- tmux: a terminal multiplexer
||This section possibly contains original research. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Major version releases
- libevent 2.1 was released on April 3, 2012.
- libevent 2.0 was released on April 17, 2009.
- libevent 1.4 was released on November 11, 2007.
- libevent 1.3 was released on February 15, 2007.
- libevent 1.2 was released on October 15, 2006.
- libevent 1.1 was released on May 14, 2005.