Librem is a line of computers manufactured by Purism, SPC featuring free (libre) hardware and software. The laptop line is designed to protect privacy and freedom by providing no non-free (proprietary) software in the operating system or kernel, avoiding the Intel Active Management Technology, and gradually freeing and securing firmware. Librem laptops feature hardware kill switches for the microphone, webcam, Bluetooth, & Wi-Fi, and can be purchased air gapped.
There are presently two laptop models in production, the Librem 13 (version 2) and Librem 15 (version 3). At the end of 2016, Purism announced it would be preparing to move from a build to order production approach to a "ship from inventory" model with the new batches of Librem 13 and 15. A convertible tablet model, the Librem 11, is planned and available for preorder, but does not have an exact availability date as of April 2017. In addition, Purism is planning a smartphone product which may be part of the Librem line.
Initially planning to preload its Librem laptops with the Trisquel operating system, Purism eventually moved off the Trisquel platform to rebase onto Debian for the 2.0 release of its PureOS Linux operating system. As an alternative to PureOS, Librem laptops were originally announced as purchasable with Qubes preloaded, but in July, 2017 Librem announced that Qubes was no longer an option for new orders. In December 2017 the Free Software Foundation added PureOS to its list of endorsed GNU/Linux distributions.
In 2015, Purism began research to port the Librem 13 to coreboot but the effort was initially stalled. By the end of the year, a coreboot developer completed an initial port of the Librem 13 and submitted it for review. In December 2016, hardware enablement developer Youness Alaoui joined Purism and was tasked to complete the coreboot port for the original Librem 13 and prepare a port for the second revision of the device. Since summer 2017, new Librem laptops are shipped with coreboot as their standard BIOS, while some older models can be updated.
Purism plans in January 2019 a phone named "Librem 5". It will be run the free software, and phone's operating system is PureOS, but it will also run KDE's Plasma Mobile and Ubuntu Touch.
- The Price of Freedom—A Review of the Librem 15 v3, Medium
- Librem 13 laptop review: physical security for the paranoid - The Verge
- Purism's Librem 13 Linux Laptop Is Sleek, Private and Secure | Reviews | LinuxInsider.com
- Purism Librem 13 v2 privacy-focused Linux laptop -- great hardware, frustrating software [Review], BetaNews
- Purism Librem 13 review: This Linux-based laptop takes your privacy to the next level - TechRepublic
- Purism Librem 13: A Security-Focused Powerhouse of a Linux Laptop | Linux.com | The source of Linux information
- Kyle Rankin. "Purism Librem 15 Review". Linux Journal. Retrieved 6 December 2016.
- IEEE Consumer Electronics, Vol 5, Number 1, 2016 January, "Veillance Integrity by Design A new mantra for CE devices and services", pp. 33-143, By Steve Mann
- Purism Aims To Build A Philosophically Pure Laptop, TechCrunch, Jan 23, 2015 by John Biggs (@johnbiggs)
- Bridgwater, Adrian (2015-01-26). "Purism Librem: 100% open source crowdsourced 'high-end' laptop". Computer Weekly. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
- Armasu, Lucian (2016-08-29). "Purism Explains Why It Avoids Intel's AMT And Networking Cards For Its Privacy-Focused 'Librem' Notebooks". Tom's Hardware. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
- Ung, Gordon. "Purism discovered how to make open-source software laptops even more open". PCWorld. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
- Armasu, Lucian (2017-04-12). "Purism Laptops To Use 'Heads' Firmware To Protect Against Rootkits, Tampering". Tom's Hardware. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
- Rankin, Kyle (2015-07-10). "Purism Librem 13 Review". Linux Journal. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
- Rappleyea, Danny (2016-06-15). "Purism Librem 13 Laptop Review". DigitalReplica. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
- idmk (2016-12-20), Purism Librem 15 v2 — in-depth review, benchmarking & comparisons, retrieved 2017-04-15
- Weaver, Todd (2016-12-15). "Growing to Ship from Inventory in 2017". puri.sm. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
- Baldwin, Roberto (2016-05-19). "Purism expands its line of privacy-focused devices to include a 2-in-1". Engadget. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
- "Purism Librem models comparison page". Purism. Retrieved 15 April 2017.
- Linder, Brad (2014-11-19). "Purism hopes to crowdfund a high-end, open source laptop". Liliputing. Retrieved 2017-01-26.
- Rahl, Jon (2015-05-17). "Production and Shipping Update". puri.sm. Retrieved 2017-01-26.
- Weaver, Todd (2015-09-18). "Weekly Update on Librem Production 2015-09-18". puri.sm. Retrieved 2017-01-26.
- Porup, J. M. (2015-12-14). "Qubes OS will ship pre-installed on Purism's security-focused Librem 13 laptop". Ars Technica. Retrieved 2017-01-26.
- Purism (2017-07-04). "A shipping update for Qubes-related orders".
- FSF adds PureOS to list of endorsed GNU/Linux distributions, Free Software Foundation
- OpenNews: Фонд СПО признал PureOS полностью свободным дистрибутивом, OpenNET (in Russian)
- Moberg, Larry (2015-07-20). "Freeing the BIOS: Memory Init". puri.sm. Retrieved 2017-01-12.
- Moberg, Larry (2015-08-14). "2015-08-14: Librem 13: Weekly BIOS Progress Update". puri.sm. Retrieved 2017-01-12.
- Moberg, Larry (2015-08-21). "2015-08-21 Librem 13: Weekly BIOS Progress Update". puri.sm. Retrieved 2017-01-12.
- Laurie, Duncan (2015-12-22). "Gerrit Code Review". review.coreboot.org. Retrieved 2017-01-12.
- Alaoui, Youness (2017-01-05). "Diving back into coreboot development". puri.sm. Retrieved 2017-01-12.
- "Downloading and installing coreboot on Purism Librem devices – Purism". puri.sm. Retrieved 2018-04-02.
- Librem 5 – A Security and Privacy Focused Phone – Purism
- Librem 5: All You Need to Know About The Upcoming Linux Phone | It's FOSS
- Librem 5 and the Challenge of The Free Phone » Linux Magazine
- Purism's Privacy-Focused Librem 5 Smartphone's On Track For A Jan '19 Release, Tom's Hardware
- OpenNews: Компания Purism намерена выпустить смартфон Librem 5 на базе СПО и Linux, OpenNET (in Russian)
- Purism Begins Librem 5 Developer Docs, Using "Phosh" Wayland Shell & GNOME Apps - Phoronix
- Librem 5: a security and privacy focused GNU/Linux smartphone, OSNews
- Purism Librem 5 Phone Will Use Faster i.MX8 Chipset - OMG! Ubuntu!
- Purism and KDE are Crowdsourcing a "Truly Free" Smartphone, XDA Developers
- You can help Purism build the secure open-source Linux-based 'Librem 5' smartphone, BetaNews
- "Purism and KDE to Work Together on World's First Truly Free Smartphone – Purism". puri.sm. Retrieved 2018-06-10.
- Purism's privacy-focused phone will support Ubuntu Touch, Engadget
- Ubuntu Touch lives on in Purism's Librem 5 smartphone | ZDNet
- Purism Partners with UBports to Offer Ubuntu Touch on the Librem 5, Red Hat Storage One Launches and More | Linux Journal
- Open Source Smartphone Librem 5 Will Officially Support Ubuntu Touch, FossBytes
- Purism's Librem 5 Linux Phone Will Support Ubuntu Touch, Thanks to UBports, Softpedia News
|This computer hardware article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|