Licenciado Gustavo Díaz Ordaz International Airport
|Lic. Gustavo Díaz Ordaz International Airport
Aeropuerto Internacional de Puerto Vallarta Lic. Gustavo Díaz Ordaz
|Operator||Grupo Aeroportuario del Pacífico|
|Serves||Puerto Vallarta and Riviera Nayarit|
|Location||Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco|
|Elevation AMSL||23 ft / 7 m|
Source: Grupo Aeroportuario del Pacífico
Licenciado Gustavo Díaz Ordaz International Airport (sometimes abbreviated as Lic. Gustavo Díaz Ordaz International Airport) (IATA: PVR, ICAO: MMPR) is an international airport located at Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco in Mexico. The airport is named after President Gustavo Díaz Ordaz (1964–70). It handled 3,039,126 passengers in 2014 and 3,517,801 passengers in 2015.
Licenciado Gustavo Díaz Ordaz International Airport is mainly a tourist airport, with most passengers visiting the airport in the winter, spring and early summer, just before the rainy season hits the area. The airport serves multiple destinations in North America, and the British tourist airline Thomson Airways serves the airport with two weekly year-round flights to both London-Gatwick and Manchester using their Boeing 787 aircraft. The Thomson Airways flight from Manchester to Puerto Vallarta is also the airline's longest route currently. Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Phoenix–Sky Harbor are the busiest international routes from the airport, serving more that than 100 thousand passengers annually. Among all airlines that serve the airport, Westjet serves the greatest number of international destinations, connecting 13 different Canadian cities with Puerto Vallarta during the high season. Free Wifi is available throughout the airport, and food services and shopping are both abundant after clearing security.
Expansion and growth
Puerto Vallarta has seen recent growth and expansion due to higher demand. In recent year multiple airlines have expanded at the airport along with new airlines, and aircraft upgrades. Air Transat, one of the largest airlines at the airport, has had aircraft upgrades in recent years. Seasonally, Air Transat services their Airbus A310 from Vancouver. From Montréal and Toronto, Air Transat upgraded to their largest aircraft, the Airbus A330s. October 2014, Air Canada's subsidiary airline Air Canada Rouge connects Vancouver to Puerto Vallarta, with their Airbus A319 and Boeing 767-300 twice daily year round. The newest airline serving the airport is Southwest Airlines, which began service to Puerto Vallarta in June 2015 to Orange County.
Airlines and destinations
|1||Distrito Federal (México), Mexico City||364,563||Aeroméxico, Aeroméxico Connect, Interjet, Magni, VivaAerobus, Volaris|
|2||Nuevo León, Monterrey||68,595||Aeroméxico Connect, Magni, TAR, VivaAerobus, Volaris|
|3||Jalisco, Guadalajara||39,216||Aeroméxico Express, Interjet, TAR|
|4||México (state), Toluca||35,932||Interjet|
|5||Baja California, Tijuana||35,843||Volaris|
|6||Guanajuato, León||10,314||Interjet, TAR|
|8||Chihuahua, Chihuahua||2,072||2||Aeroméxico Connect, magnicharters|
|9||Sinaloa, Mazatlán||2,035||Aéreo Calafia|
|12||San Luis Potosí, San Luis Potosí||727||TAR|
|13||Chihuahua, Ciudad Juárez||566||2|
|1||United States, Los Angeles||132,559||Alaska Airlines, Delta Air Lines, United Airlines|
|2||United States, San Francisco||116,410||Alaska Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America|
|3||United States, Dallas||100,053||1||American Airlines, Sun Country Airlines|
|4|| United States, Houston, Texas
* George Bush Intercontinental Airport
* William P. Hobby Airport
|87,511||1||Southwest Airlines, United Airlines, United Express|
|5||United States, Phoenix–Sky Harbor||81,778||2||American Airlines, American Eagle, US Airways, US Airways Express|
|6||Canada, Calgary||66,011||1||Air Canada, Air Transat, Enerjet, Sunwing Airlines, WestJet|
|7||United States, Chicago||63,811||1||Aeroméxico, American Airlines, Frontier Airlines, United Airlines|
|8||United States, Denver||58,102||1||Frontier Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Airlines|
|9||Canada, Vancouver||53,539||1||Air Canada Rouge, Air Transat, Enerjet, Sunwing Airlines, WestJet|
|10||Canada, Toronto||40,962||Air Canada, Air Transat, Sunwing Airlines, WestJet|
|11||United States, Seattle||35,420||1||Alaska Airlines, Delta Air Lines|
|12||United States, Atlanta||34,778||Delta Air Lines|
|13||United States, Minneapolis||34,694||2||Delta Air Lines, Sun Country Airlines|
|14||Canada, Edmonton||30,770||1||Air Transat, Enerjet, Sunwing Airlines, WestJet|
|15||United States, Orange County||23,685||Alaska Airlines, Southwest Airlines|
- "GAP announces terminal passenger traffic figures for the month of December 2015" (PDF). GAP.
- "Air Canada rouge Expands Toronto / Montreal Network in W16". April 2016. Retrieved April 25, 2016.
- "American adds new Los Angeles – Mexico routes from mid-Dec 2016". RoutesOnline.com. Retrieved August 14, 2016.
- "Frontier Airlines Application" (PDF). Frontier Airlines. June 2016. Retrieved June 23, 2016.
- "LOT Polish Airlines Plans New Boeing 787 Charter Markets". April 24, 2016. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
- "Southwest Airlines Files Application To Offer Nonstop Service Between Los Angeles (LAX) And Three Mexico Beach Destinations". June 1, 2016. Retrieved August 8, 2016.
- "Southwest intends to make Oakland an international gateway". July 13, 2016. Retrieved August 8, 2016.
- "Air Operational Statistics". Secretaría de Comunicaciones y Transportes. January 2016. Retrieved March 4, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Licenciado Gustavo Díaz Ordaz International Airport.|
- Puerto Vallarta International Airport
- http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/MMPR.html Current weather at MMPR from NOAA
- TripAdvisor page on arrival at PVR, including warning about the Shark Tank.
- Airport information for MMPR at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.