Licking Township, Blackford County, Indiana
Location of Licking Township in Blackford County
|• Type||Indiana township|
|• Total||41.46 sq mi (107.4 km2)|
|• Land||41.18 sq mi (106.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.28 sq mi (0.7 km2)|
|Elevation||873 ft (266 m)|
|• Density||191.8/sq mi (74.1/km2)|
|GNIS feature ID||453568|
Licking Township is one of four townships in Blackford County, Indiana. As of the 2010 census, its population was 7,899 and it contained 3,885 housing units. The township was named after Lick Creek and a salt lick in the area. The first settlers in what became Blackford County arrived in the Lick Creek area in 1831.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 41.46 square miles (107.4 km2), of which 41.18 square miles (106.7 km2) (or 99.32%) is land and 0.28 square miles (0.73 km2) (or 0.68%) is water. Cains Lake and Lake Mohee are in this township. Lick Creek flows through the township.
Cities and towns
The township contains at least seven cemeteries: Cunningham, Greenlawn, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Lion, Sprague, Stewart, and Willman (a.k.a. Hartford City Cemetery).
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- See “A History of Blackford County, Indiana…”, page 140.
- A History of Blackford County, Indiana : with historical accounts of the county, 1838-1986 [and] histories of families who have lived in the county. Hartford City, Indiana: Blackford County Historical Society. 1986. p. 302. OCLC 15144953.
- Biographical and historical record of Jay and Blackford Counties, Indiana: Containing ... portraits and biographies of some of the prominent men of the state : engravings of prominent citizens in Jay and Blackford Counties, with personal histories of many of the leading families and a concise history of Jay and Blackford Counties and their cities and villages. Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company. 1887. OCLC 15560416.
- "Licking Township, Blackford County, Indiana". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-09-24.
- United States Census Bureau cartographic boundary files
||Monroe Township, Grant County||Washington Township||Harrison Township|
|Jefferson Township, Grant County||Jackson Township|
|Washington Township, Delaware County||Union Township, Delaware County||Niles Township, Delaware County|