Licor 43 [Cuarenta Y Tres (kwar-EN-tah ee tres)] A Spanish liqueur, Licor 43 is made with Mediterranean citrus fruits that are infused with selected herbs and spices to deliver layered flavours of vanilla, caramel and honey. Golden in colour, Licor 43 has an ABV of 31% and is 62 proof, light bodied and sweet. It is the flagship brand of Diego Zamora Group, a 100% family owned Spanish company based in Cartagena.
Licor 43 was first produced in the first quarter of the 20th century, under the name of Licor Cuarenta y Tres. Its name is derived from the 43 basic ingredients from which it was originally made, principally herbs, citrus and other fruits carefully selected from the Mediterranean basin. The family recipe has developed over the last 60 years and today only members of the family knows.
The Diego Zamora Company was established in 1946 by the entrepreneurs Diego Zamora Conesa, his brother Angel Zamora Conesa and their sister Josefina Zamora Conesa, together with her husband Emilio Restoy Godoy.
In the 1960s, as a result of the great success achieved with Licor 43 in the Spanish market, Diego Zamora began distributing the liqueur internationally. Today, Licor 43 is sold across seven continents and noted for its golden colour, vanilla and citrus flavours and versatility. This company is still entirely owned by the families that founded Diego Zamora and continues production of the beverage today in Cartagena. Licor 43 has adapted its bottle evolving in the same way as the trends and habits of each period, being its last change in 2015. This last change was introduced to modernize its image and communicate the heritage and history of the brand through each one of the details that compose it.
Legend of Liqvor Mirabilis
The company claims that the genesis of the drink began more than 2,000 years ago in Cartagena, then called Carthago Nova, an important port in the Roman Empire where, according to legend, Romans discovered a golden aromatic drink which they were so in awe of they named it Liqvor Mirabilis, meaning miracle liqueur. The company claims that the recipe became lost over the centuries until the 20th Century, when it was recreated as Licor 43 using a number of the ingredients claimed to have been part of the original recipe. This story is possibly fanciful, as some of the ingredients did not exist in Europe during the era of the Roman Empire. Cartagena in Spain remains the brand’s home and is the only place where Licor 43 is produced.
Licor 43 is described as being aromatic, warm and complex with vanilla flavours followed by tangy sweet fruit and spices, similar to aged rum. It is be consumed neat, over ice, mixed with coffee or in a long drink or cocktail. The liqueur is versatile and can be mixed with juices or soft drinks.
|Color||bright yellow golden colour|
|Flavor||layered flavours of vanilla, caramel and honey|
|Alcohol by volume||31%|
|Manufacturer||DZ Licores S.L.U.|
|Country of origin||Spain|
|Owner||Diego Zamora Group|
Popular Cocktails Made with Licor 43
- Puro 43
- Ginger 43
- Blanco 43
- Balón 43
- Carajillo 43
- Minibeer 43 (Mini 43)
Licor 43 is now sold internationally following its initial success in Spain. As tourism grew, the spirit became popular outside of Spain and in the 1970s Licor 43 was first exported to Sweden. Today, Licor 43 is distributed in more than 60 countries, including the Netherlands, the United States of America, Mexico, Germany, and Brazil.
- Gold: Fizzz (Top-Getränke)
- Master: The Spirits Business (Traditional Category)
- First Place: Disco Magazine (Drinks Top Seller-Germany)
- Master: The Spirits Business (Traditional-Liqueur)
- Gold: Fizzz (Top-Getränke)
- Silver: San Francisco World Spirits Competition
- Gold: Drinks International (Cocktail Challenge-Daiquiri Español by Robert Wood)
- Silver: Drinks International (Cocktail Challenge-Spanish Gold and 43 Memories by Robert Wood)
- Supreme Champion: Drinks International (Cocktail Challenge-El Sol by Robert Wood)
- Trophy: Drinks International (Cocktail Challenge, Best Aperitif- Español Mexicano by Robert Wood)
- Trophy: Drinks International (Cocktail Challenge, Best Long Drink- El Sol by Robert Wood)
- Gold: Drinks International (Cocktail Challenge- Español Mexicano by Robert Wood)
- Gold: Drinks International (Cocktail Challenge- El Sol by Robert Wood)
- Silver: Drinks International (Cocktail Challenge-Suzette by Robert Wood)
- Platinum: SIP Awards
- Master: The Spirits Business Travel Retail Masters (Liqueurs)
- Gold: The Spirits Business (The Liqueur Masters-Fruit)
- Gold: San Francisco World Spirits Competition
- Silver: Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition (Asia’s Choice, Asia’s Voice)
- Silver: International Wine & Spirit Competition-Quality Award
- Bronze: International Spirits Challenge
- Silver: Drinks International - International Spirits Challenge
- 85 Very Good, Strong Recommendation: Ultimate Spirits Challenge
- Official Licor 43 site
- Official Diego Zamora Group site
- Official Facebook page for Licor 43 visitor centre "Experiencia 43"
- Leading Brands of Spain forum site
- San Francisco World Spirits Competition Results 2011.
- Drinks International Cocktail Challenge Results 2012.
- Drinks International Cocktail Challenge Results 2013.
- SIP Awards Results 2013.
- San Francisco World Spirits Competition Results 2013.
- International Wine and Spirits Competition Results 2013.
- International Spirits Challenge Results.
- Ultimate Spirits Challenge 2015.