Lie About Us
|"Lie About Us"|
|Single by Avant featuring Nicole Scherzinger|
|from the album Director|
|Released||July 31, 2006|
|Avant singles chronology|
"Lie About Us" is a song recorded by American recording artist Avant from his fourth studio album Director (2006). The song features former lead singer of the Pussycat Dolls Nicole Scherzinger. Inspired by Beau Dozier's relationship with soul singer Joss Stone he wrote it along with Bruce Boniface while production was handled by Ron Fair, Dozier and Tal Herzberg. "Lie About Us" is a neo soul ballad which lyrically discusses a man promising to his mistress to come clean to the world about their affair.
An original version of the song appears on the 2004 Showtime album by the German band Bro'Sis. Later, the song was meant to appear on Scherzinger's debut album, Her Name is Nicole but Avant's team insisted that it should go on his record. The song was serviced to urban contemporary radio stations in the United States on July 31, serving as the third single from Director. It marks their second collaboration as Avant previously appeared on the remix of The Pussycat Dolls song "Stickwitu" released on December 2005.
The song was written by Beau Dozier alongside Bruce Boniface while production was handled by Ron Fair, Dozier and Tal Herzberg. Dozier was inspired by his relationship with soul singer Joss Stone. He fell in love with Stone while was he dating a girl but eventually finished things in favor for Stone. They spent two years together before splitting in November 2005. A neo soul ballad which runs for four minutes and nine seconds, chronicles a secret relationship while the man promises his mistress to leave his woman and come clean to the world about their affair, as mentioned in the lines "Please don’t say you wanna give up / How do I tell her that I'm fallin' in love / And I know you're waiting patiently for that day that we no longer have to lie about us." According to Quentin B. Huff of PopMatters noted that the mistress has doubts and isn’t going into this blindly.
Quentin B. Huff of PopMatters described the song as "other possible standout" track, and praised Scherzinger's "fine vocals". Huff concluded, "Another good fact: it does make for a nice duet." Johnny Dee of The Guardian described the song as "greasy". Commercially the song performed moderately. In the United States, the song peaked at number one on the Billboard Bubbling Under R&B/Hip-Hop Singles, a component chart that represents the 25 songs that failed to make an impact on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. In the United Kingdom the song peaked at number 76.
- Digital download
- "Lie About Us" – 4:09
- "Lie About Us" (Dave Audé Club Mix) – 8:49
Credits and personnel
Credits adapted from the liner notes of "Lie About Us".
- Beau Dozier – producer, songwriter
- Bruce Boniface – songwriter
- Mike Eleopoulos – engineering
- Ron Fair – production, conductor, string arrangement
- Tal Herzberg – co-producer, Pro Tools
- Peter Mokran – mixing
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||76|
|UK R&B (Official Charts Company)||9|
|US Bubbling Under R&B/Hip-Hop Singles (Billboard)||1|
|United States||July 31, 2006||Urban contemporary|
|August 7, 2006||Rhythmic contemporary|
|Germany||September 7, 2006||Vinyl||Universal Music|
|United Kingdom||October 23, 2006||Digital download||Universal Island|
- Kilkelly, Daniel (July 25, 2006). "Pussycat Doll sings about Joss Stone". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines. Retrieved August 2, 2014.
- "Avant's New Video with Nicole Scherzinger". Rap-Up. July 24, 2006. Retrieved August 2, 2014.
- "Music - Stickwitu (Avant Mix) - Single by The Pussycat Dolls featuring Avant". iTunes Store (United States). Apple Inc. Retrieved August 2, 2014.
- Dee, Johnny (October 7, 2006). "New releases: Oct 7". The Guardian. Guardian Media Group. Retrieved August 2, 2014.
- "Avant, Lie About Us, Video Stream". Contactmusic.com. October 2, 2006. Retrieved August 2, 2014.
- Huff, Quentin B. (May 19, 2006). "Avant: Director". PopMatters. Retrieved August 2, 2014.
- Nero, Mark Edward. "CD Review: Avant's "Director"". About.com. Retrieved August 2, 2014.
- "Avant - Chart History: Bubbling Under R&B/Hip-Hop Singles". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved August 1, 2014.
- "Chart Log UK – Chart Coverage and Record Sales 2006". Zobbel. Retrieved August 1, 2014.
- "Lie About Us: Avant: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved August 1, 2014.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved March 27, 2015.
- "Official R&B Singles Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company. Retrieved March 27, 2015.
- "Going for Adds – Rhythmic". Radio & Records. VNU Media. July 31, 2006. Archived from the original on August 11, 2014. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- "Going for Adds – Urban". Radio & Records. VNU Media. August 7, 2006. Archived from the original on August 11, 2014. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- "Avant Feat. Nicole Scherzinger (Pussycat Dolls) / Lie About Us: Musik". Amazon.com (Germany). Retrieved August 1, 2014.