Liechtenstein at the 2012 Summer Olympics
|Liechtenstein at the
2012 Summer Olympics
|NOC||Liechtenstein Olympic Committee|
|Competitors||3 in 3 sports|
|Flag bearer||Stephanie Vogt (opening)
Julia Hassler (closing)
|Summer Olympics appearances (overview)|
Liechtenstein competed at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, from 27 July to 12 August 2012. This was the nation's sixteenth appearance at the Olympics, excluding the 1956 Summer Olympics in Melbourne, and the 1980 Summer Olympics in Moscow because of the United States boycott.
The National Olympic Committee of Liechtenstein (German: Liechtensteinischer Olympischer Sportverband, LOS) sent a team of three athletes to the Games to compete in their respective sporting events. Marathon runner Marcel Tschopp, who competed at his second consecutive Olympics, became the oldest member of the contingent, at age 38. Liechtenstein also set a historical milestone for female athletes to participate for the first time in judo and in swimming at the Olympics. Swimmer and former Youth Olympic Games athlete Julia Hassler, who qualified for two of her freestyle events, was the youngest member of the contingent, at age 19. Meanwhile, tennis player Stephanie Vogt, who became Liechtenstein's flag bearer at the opening ceremony, had been granted a Tripartite Commission invitation from the International Tennis Federation (ITF) to compete in London.
Liechtenstein, however, has yet to win its first ever Summer Olympic medal, despite having won numerous medals at the Winter Olympics.
- Note–Ranks given for track events are within the athlete's heat only
- Q = Qualified for the next round
- q = Qualified for the next round as a fastest loser or, in field events, by position without achieving the qualifying target
- NR = National record
- N/A = Round not applicable for the event
- Bye = Athlete not required to compete in round
Swimmers from Liechtenstein have so far achieved qualifying standards in the following events (up to a maximum of 2 swimmers in each event at the Olympic Qualifying Time (OQT), and 1 at the Olympic Selection Time (OST)):
|Julia Hassler||400 m freestyle||4:12.99 NR||27||Did not advance|
|800 m freestyle||8:35.18 NR||17||Did not advance|
Liechtenstein has been given a wild card.
|Athlete||Event||Round of 64||Round of 32||Round of 16||Quarterfinals||Semifinals||Final|
|Stephanie Vogt||Women's singles|| Tatishvili (GEO)
L 2–6, 0–6
|Did not advance|
- "Tennis First Olympic Entries are Revealed". ITF. 18 April 2012. Retrieved 18 April 2012.
- "Kein Startplatz für Burkhard und Rinner in London" (in German). LOSV. Retrieved 5 July 2012.
- "Swimming World Rankings". FINA. Archived from the original on January 1, 1970. Retrieved 6 September 2011.
- FÉDÉRATION INTERNATIONALE DE NATATION – Swimming (PDF), FINA, retrieved 6 September 2011