Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein
|No. of offices||4|
|No. of attorneys||70+|
|Date founded||1972 (San Francisco)|
Lieff Cabraser represents plaintiffs in individual, class and group cases in the fields of law of antitrust and intellectual property, aviation, business, civil rights, consumer protection, defective products, digital privacy and data security, employment discrimination and unfair employment practices, environmental and toxic exposure, False Claims Act and whistleblower claims, personal injury and mass torts, and securities and investor fraud. The firm is one of the largest in the United States that represents only plaintiffs.
Reputation and recognition
Rated as an AV law firm, Lieff Cabraser has been described by The American Lawyer as "one of the nation's premier plaintiffs firms." The American Lawyer has recognized Lieff Cabraser as one of "the most successful plaintiffs firms in the land."
In the 2016 edition of its annual list of the top plaintiffs' law firms in the U.S., The National Law Journal once again selected Lieff Cabraser. In compiling the list, The National Law Journal examined recent verdicts and settlements and looked for firms "representing the best qualities of the plaintiffs' bar and that demonstrated unusual dedication and creativity." This was the fourteenth consecutive year since 2003 that Lieff Cabraser has received Hot List honors.
From 2011 through 2016, Best Lawyers and U.S. News selected Lieff Cabraser as a “Law Firm of the Year,” including recognition for Mass Torts Litigation/Class Actions and Employment Law.
In 2016, Law360 selected Lieff Cabraser as one of the Top 50 law firms nationwide for litigation.. This list included firms over twenty times Lieff Cabraser's size, and Law360 highlighted the firm’s “laser focus,” noting that Lieff Cabraser routinely finds itself “facing off against some of the largest and strongest defense law firms in the world.” Also in 2016, Benchmark Litigation named Lieff Cabraser as one of the “Top 10 Plaintiffs’ Firms in America” and in 2017 named founding partner Elizabeth Cabraser its "Plaintiff Attorney of the Year."
Lieff Cabraser sponsors the Bay Area Minority Law Student Scholarship Program conducted by the Bar Association of San Francisco (BASF). The firm also supports the National Association for Public Interest Law fellowship program. Fellowships made possible by Lieff Cabraser’s sponsorship have included work at the East Bay Community Law Center in Oakland, California, the Employment Law Center in San Francisco, California, and the NOW Legal Defense in New York, New York.
In 2007, Lieff Cabraser attorneys assisted in the launching of the Carver HEARTS Project. The project is a partnership between interested community members, San Francisco's George Washington Carver Elementary School, and UCSF's Department of Infant, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry to provide a therapist skilled in treating trauma and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) on-site at Carver Elementary School.
From 1991 through the end of 2011, Lieff Cabraser underwrote the radio series, "Perspectives," airing on the public broadcasting station KQED-FM in the San Francisco Bay Area. The series offers listeners social and political opinions on a broad spectrum of contemporary issues. The firm continues to provide financial support for programs on KQED-FM.
Christopher Coleman, Professor of Law, Vanderbilt Law School
Joshua Davis, Professor of Law, University of San Francisco School of Law
Chimène Keitner, Professor of Law, UC Hastings College of the Law
David W. Marcus, Professor of Law, University of Arizona James E. Rogers College of Law
Sharmila Murthy, Professor of Law, Suffolk University Law School
Alistair E. Newbern, Professor of Law, Vanderbilt Law School
Morris Ratner, Professor of Law, UC Hastings College of the Law
Nirej Sekhon, Professor of Law, Georgia State
- "Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP". Lawyer.com. Retrieved November 19, 2015.
- AV is a registered certification mark of Reed Elsevier Properties, Inc., used in accordance with the LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Lieff Cabraser's Martindale-Hubbell profile can be read here.
- American Lawyer, Vol. 28, No. 12, December 2006.
- American Lawyer, Vol. 26, No. 10, October 2004.
- "The Plaintiffs' Hot List", National Law Journal (Mar. 14, 2016)
- "The Plaintiffs' Hot List", National Law Journal (Mar. 14, 2016); R. Acello, "The Plaintiffs' Hot List", National Law Journal (Oct. 4, 2010), at 13; M. Moline, "The Plaintiffs' Hot List", National Law Journal (Oct. 5, 2009); M. Moline, "The Plaintiffs' Hot List", National Law Journal (Oct., 2008); M. Moline, "The Plaintiffs' Hot List", National Law Journal (Oct. 22, 2007), at S-2; M. Moline, "The Plaintiffs' Hot List", National Law Journal (Oct. 9, 2006), at S-3; M. Moline, "The Plaintiffs' Hot List", National Law Journal (Oct. 10, 2005), at S-3; D. Hechler, "The Plaintiffs' Hot List", National Law Journal (Jul. 26, 2004), at S-8; D. Hechler, "The Plaintiffs' Hot List", National Law Journal (Jul. 21, 2003), at S-2.
- Best Lawyers & U.S. News (Nov. 5, 2015)
- Law360 (Jul. 27, 2016)
- Benchmark Litigation (Oct. 21, 2016)
- Benchmark Litigation (Feb. 21, 2017)
- Carver HEARTS provides a therapist skilled in treating trauma and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) on-site at Carver Elementary School in San Francisco.
- KQED-FM San Francisco, Perspectives.