Life Saving Victoria
Life Saving Victoria is an Australian life saving organisation formed in 2002 from a merger of the Victorian Branch of the Royal Life Saving Society Australia and Surf Life Saving Victoria. Life Saving Victoria works to prevent drownings and other water related deaths and injuries in Victoria. Life Saving Victoria teaches local communities in Victoria about water safety, swimming and resuscitation. It also provides surf life saving services and patrols for beaches across the state. Life Saving Victoria is an emergency support agency to Victoria Police for water based emergencies.
Life Saving Victoria has a network of life saving clubs across the state. There are currently 57 life saving clubs in Victoria. Life saving clubs conduct patrols which are run by 26,000 volunteers. Patrols are conducted from November - April every summer on weekends and public holidays. During the peak-summer period, mid-week patrols may be conducted by paid lifeguards. All lifesavers have a minimum qualification of a Bronze Medallion which includes training on rescue techniques, resuscitation and first aid.
Life Saving Victoria also has several resources to respond to emergencies. Life Saving Victoria operates two helicopters, funded by Westpac, which patrol beaches during summer and have the capacity to rescue swimmers. Life Saving Victoria also operate jet rescue boats, off shore rescue boats and rescue water crafts to ensure the safety of waterway users.
Swimming pool safety
Life Saving Victoria provide services to swimming pools to ensure safe operation. Life Saving Victoria provide guidelines and advice to swimming pool operators to ensure safe operation.
Life Saving Victoria also run public campaigns and education programs to raise awareness of home swimming pool safety to reduce drownings.
Education and training
Life Saving Victoria also offers education and training programs to the general public. Individuals can be trained in resuscitation, first aid, pool lifeguarding and surf lifesaving. School education programs to raise awareness of water safety are also run by Life Saving Victoria.
- Department of Justice. "Responding to Emergencies". Retrieved 25 November 2011.
- Life Saving Victoria. "Life Saving Clubs". Archived from the original on 19 November 2011. Retrieved 25 November 2011.
- Life Saving Victoria. "Patrolled Beaches". Archived from the original on 8 November 2011. Retrieved 25 November 2011.
- Life Saving Victoria. "Professional Lifeguards". Archived from the original on 9 November 2011. Retrieved 25 November 2011.
- Life Saving Victoria. "Westpac Lifesaver Rescue Helicopters". Archived from the original on 9 November 2011. Retrieved 25 November 2011.
- Swimming Pool Safety Archived 2012-01-02 at the Wayback Machine., Life Saving Victoria
- Training Courses Archived 2011-11-19 at the Wayback Machine., Life Saving Victoria
- Education Programs Archived 2011-11-08 at the Wayback Machine. Life Saving Victoria