Life Technologies (Thermo Fisher Scientific)
|Product type||Retired Brand Name|
Life Technologies Corporation was a biotech company founded in November 2008 through a US$6.7 billion merger of Invitrogen Corporation and Applied Biosystems Inc. The joint sales of the combined companies were about $3.5 billion; they had about 9,500 employees, and owned more than 3,600 licenses and patents.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Corporation acquired the company in 2014 and used the Life Technologies brand name for a family of biotechnology products and services from Feb 2014 to July 2015. Thermo Fisher retired the Life Technologies brand name and logos in late July 2015, following a world-wide release letter to all customers in five languages.
The use of the "Life Technologies" brand name is disputed. Life Technologies (India) Private Limited, a company founded in 2002, operating in this corporate name claims ownership of the brand name.
In January 2014, a legal dispute on the use of the mark "Life Technologies" in India concluded as the Delhi High Court denied Life Technologies' request to prevent the similarly named biotechnology company Life Technologies India Pvt. Limited from using the "Life Technologies" mark and various related web domains.
In 2013 Thermo Fisher agreed to buy Life Technologies for $13.6 billion. They completed the sale on 3 February 2014, and the Life Technologies brand became part of the Life Sciences Solutions Group of Thermo Fisher Scientific.
Between its formation in 2008 and its acquisition by Thermo Fisher Scientific in 2014, Life Technologies Corporation was an independent multinational corporation based in Carlsbad, California, United States.
A court case involving Life Technologies (as the former Applera Corp) ended in January 2014, as the Connecticut District Court penalized Life Technologies Corp over $60 million for patent infringements by its parent companies prior to the merger. The jury awarded $48 million in royalty damages to the plaintiffs Enzo Biochem, Inc, Enzo Life Sciences, and Yale University.
- "Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen complete $6.7 billion merger". San Francisco Business Times. 21 November 2008. Retrieved 19 August 2009.
- "Case 1698OS/2012" (PDF). Delhi High Court. 29 January 2014. Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 December 2014.
- Jon Evans (21 February 2014). "Life Technologies loses Indian court battle". SeparationsNow. Wiley.
- Gareth Macdonald (18 February 2014). "Fight for Life: new Thermo Fisher acquisition loses out in India". Biopharma Reporter. William Reed.
- Bill Berkrot (15 April 2013). "Thermo Fisher to buy Life Tech for $13.6 billion". Reuters. Retrieved 17 April 2013.
- "Thermo Fisher Scientific Completes Acquisition of Life Technologies Corporation". MarketWatch. The Wall Street Journal. 3 February 2014. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- "US District Court Order". Justia. 3 January 2014.
- "Federal Court Awards Enzo Additional $12.4M Related to IP Suit Against Life Tech". GenomeWeb Daily News. 6 January 2014.