Life in a Northern Town
|"Life in a Northern Town"|
|Single by The Dream Academy|
|from the album The Dream Academy|
|Released||March 1985 (UK and World)
November 1985 (USA)
|Producer(s)||David Gilmour, Nick Laird-Clowes, Alan Tarney|
|The Dream Academy singles chronology|
The lyrics include references to English singer-songwriter Nick Drake, who suffered from depression and insomnia throughout his life and often reflected those topics in his lyrics. Gilbert Gabriel, a member of the Dream Academy and co-writer of the song, has also said that the inspiration for the tune came from his experience at Dartington College of Arts. Drake died of an antidepressant overdose in 1974 at the age of 26, but his music has influenced songwriters and guitarists long after his death. He was best known for sombre pieces composed on his favourite instrument, the guitar, and The Dream Academy intended the song as a tribute to Drake.
The song, which took a year to record, also includes elements of classical music, an "African-esque" chant (which was later sampled by dance duo Dario G for their track "Sunchyme"), and hints of psychedelia. It is in the key of E major with a main chord pattern of E-Amaj7-E and a vocal range from B3 to E5.
Two different music videos were made for the song. The first was made in 1984 and filmed in Hebden Bridge in West Yorkshire, England. It was directed by Tim Pope. The second was filmed in 1985 and was directed by Leslie Libman and Larry Williams. It was filmed in and around Newcastle upon Tyne with some scenes filmed in Manchester in the UK and in Aliquippa, Pennsylvania, United States, using footage of the now-closed LTV Steel and Duquesne Light facilities. The video featured footage from one of their first TV appearances, on The Tube.
- "Life in a Northern Town" - 4:17
- "Test Tape No. 3" - 5:01
- "Life in a Northern Town" (Extended) - 5:19
- "Test Tape No. 3" - 5:03
- "Life in a Northern Town" (7" Mix) - 4:14
- "Poised on the Edge of Forever" - 3:32
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||4|
|Canada Top Singles (RPM)||7|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||15|
|US Billboard Hot 100||7|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks||7|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks||2|
Sugarland cover version
|"Life in a Northern Town"|
|Song by Sugarland featuring Little Big Town and Jake Owen from the album Love on the Inside|
The song was covered in 2007 by the country music duo Sugarland, along with Little Big Town and Jake Owen, on the Sugarland Change for Change Tour. A live performance from 2007 was made into a music video by Becky Fluke for the network Country Music Television. Although not officially released as a single, this rendition received airplay on country radio, debuting at 57 on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart dated for 5 April 2008 and reaching a peak of 28. It also peaked at 43 on the Billboard Hot 100 based on downloads.
This performance was included on the Deluxe Fan Edition of Sugarland's 2008 album Love on the Inside and on Capitol Records' late 2008 re-release of Little Big Town's 2007 album A Place to Land. In addition, it was nominated for Vocal Event of the Year at the Country Music Association awards, Best Country Collaboration with Vocals at the 51st Grammy Awards, and Vocal Event of the Year at the 44th Annual Academy of Country Music awards.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||53|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||28|
|US Billboard Hot 100||43|
- In 2014, Chris Collingwood, lead singer of Fountains of Wayne, released a cover version of the song on the multi-artist compilation album Here Comes The Reign Again: The Second British Invasion. Philip Price and Flora Reed of the indie rock band Winterpills provide backing vocals on this version.
- Dario G also sampled the African style chant in "Sunchyme". Released in September 1997 as the lead single from the album, Sunmachine, the song reached the top 5 position in many European music charts. It also topped the Billboard Hot Dance Music/Club Play chart in the United States following its release there in May 1998. In the United Kingdom, the song peaked at number two on the UK Singles Chart
- In August 2008, Roger McGuinn performed the song on the television show Nashville Now.
In popular culture
- Monger, James Christopher. "The Dream Academy – Artist Biography". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- "The Dream Academy". Billboard. Billboard.
- "Dream Academy". Official Charts. The Official UK Charts Company.
- The Irish Charts - All there is to know. IRMA http://www.irishcharts.ie/search/placement. Retrieved 28 June 2016. Missing or empty
- James McNair (26 March 1999). "Apprentice to the stars". London: The Independent. Retrieved 2010-02-26.
- Randolph Michaels (2005). Flashbacks to Happiness: Eighties Music Revisited. iUniverse, Inc. p. 56. ISBN 978-0-595-37007-8.
- MacDonald, Ian. "Exiled from Heaven". Mojo Magazine, January 2000.
- "'Life in a Northern Town' sheet music". MusicNotes.com. Retrieved 24 February 2013.
- "mvdbase.com - the Dream Academy - "Life in a northern town [version 1]"". Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "mvdbase.com - the Dream Academy - "Life in a northern town [version 2]"". Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992 (Illustrated ed.). St. Ives, N.S.W.: Australian Chart Book. p. 96. ISBN 0-646-11917-6. N.B. the Kent Report chart was licensed by ARIA between mid 1983 and 19 June 1988.
- "Canada peak". Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "Search for Irish peaks". Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "Archive Chart: 1985-04-14" UK Singles Chart.
- "The Dream Academy – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for The Dream Academy.
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 82.
- "Sugarland Adds "Life in a Northern Town" to New CD". CMT. 4 June 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-25.
- "Stars Shining Over CMAs". Great American Country. 11 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-25.
- "Alison Krauss, Robert Plant Score at Grammys". Great American Country. 4 December 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-14.
- "Academy of Country Music nominees". Academy of Country Music. 11 February 2009. Archived from the original on 27 February 2009. Retrieved 2009-03-09.
- "Sugarland – Chart history" Canadian Hot 100 for Sugarland.
- "Sugarland – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Sugarland.
- "Sugarland – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Sugarland.
- Life In A Northern Town | Curry Cuts
- "Wings of the Dope". Internet Movie Database. IMDb. Retrieved 25 January 2015.
- Video of Sugarland version at CMT
- Lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=633whHMOXWA&sns=fb Roger McGuinn performing the song on Nashville Now in August 1988.