Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous (Good Charlotte song)
|"Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous"|
|Single by Good Charlotte|
|from the album The Young and the Hopeless|
|Released||August 13, 2002|
|Songwriter(s)||Benji Madden, Joel Madden, Tim Armstrong|
|Good Charlotte singles chronology|
"Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" is a song written by Benji Madden, Joel Madden and Tim Armstrong for Good Charlotte's second studio album The Young and the Hopeless. It was released as the first single from the album in late 2002 in the United States and in early 2003 for the worldwide market. Upon its release the single reached a peak position of number 20 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 and charted in the top 40 in a number of European countries.
Background and writing
The basic concept of the song is the global obsession with fame and the way that celebrities are not appreciative of how fortunate they are.
The song has references to a number of celebrities within the lyrics. Johnnie Cochran, a famous attorney who represented (amongst others) stars such as O.J. Simpson, who was acquitted of murdering his ex-wife Nicole Brown. He is mentioned in the lines "Well did you know when you're famous you could kill your wife / and there's no such thing as 25 to life / as long as you got the cash to pay for Cochran." A former mayor of Washington, D.C., Marion Barry – who was convicted on drug charges – is also mentioned in the lyrics: "and did you know if you were caught and you were smokin' crack / McDonald's wouldn't even wanna take you back / you could always just run for mayor of D.C."
The music video features cameo appearances from Kyle Gass; former 'N Sync singer Chris Kirkpatrick; and Mike Watt, the bass player for various bands. All three musicians appear in the courtroom scene - Gass plays the prosecutor while Kirkpatrick plays the witness "Chadwick Merryweather Hardy III". Watt plays the Jury foreman. The dog questioned in the video is Benji & Joel's dog, Ca$hdogg. The Southern California rock band Lefty, who had been touring with Good Charlotte also make a cameo appearance. This video premiered in September 2002 on MTV.
- "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous"
- "The Anthem" (Demo Version)
- "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" (Live Acoustic Version)
- "Cemetery" (Live Acoustic Version)
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||24|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||37|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||27|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||22|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||19|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||8|
|US Billboard Hot 100||20|
|US Billboard Hot 100 Singles Sales||22|
|US Billboard Top 40 Mainstream||6|
|US Billboard Top 40 Tracks||11|
|US Billboard Hot 100 Airplay||20|
|US Billboard Adult Top 40||38|
|US Billboard Alternative Songs||11|
In popular culture
The song has appeared in various aspects of popular culture since its initial release:
- The song was heard in the 2003 film Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star.
- A version of the song was used as the theme music for the Glenn Beck Program early in the 2004 presidential election season, but due to political differences with Good Charlotte, Beck was forced to replace the song with an edited version of Rage Against the Machine's "Killing in the Name".
- "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" was heard on an episode of the American television show Drake & Josh in 2004, when Drake and Josh turned on the radio in their dune buggy, and the song's chorus was playing.
- Parody band Apologetix produced a version on the song based on the events in Luke Chapter 16 in the Bible, named "Lifestyles of the Rich & Nameless".
- Kanye West and Pharrell Williams later released a parody of the song entitled "Lifestyles of the Broke and Famous".
- Rose, Ethan. "Best Early 2000s Pop Punk Songs". Rant Hollywood. Retrieved June 12, 2016.
- "Australian-charts.com – Good Charlotte – Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Good Charlotte – Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Good Charlotte – Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Musicline.de – Good Charlotte Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- Irish Top 50 Chart. Retrieved January 6, 2008.
- "Italiancharts.com – Good Charlotte – Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous". Top Digital Download.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Good Charlotte" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Good Charlotte – Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Good Charlotte – Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous". Swiss Singles Chart.
- UK Top 75 Chart. Retrieved January 6, 2008.
- Hot 100 Chart. Retrieved November 17, 2007. Archived July 19, 2015, at the Wayback Machine.
- Hot Singles Sales Chart. Retrieved November 17, 2007.[dead link]
- Top 40 Mainstream Chart. Retrieved November 17, 2007. Archived July 18, 2015, at the Wayback Machine.
- Top 40 Tracks Chart. Retrieved November 17, 2007.[dead link]
- Hot 100 Airplay Chart. Retrieved November 17, 2007. Archived June 13, 2015, at the Wayback Machine.
- Adult Top 40 Chart. Retrieved November 17, 2007. Archived June 13, 2015, at the Wayback Machine.
- Hot Modern Rock Tracks Chart. Retrieved November 17, 2007. Archived September 14, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.
- ARIA Australia Archived June 11, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- [http://www.bpi.co.uk/certified-awards/search.aspx.htm |date=June 11, 2011 }}