Lift to Experience
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Lift to Experience|
|Origin||Denton, Texas, United States|
|Genres||Indie rock, shoegaze, post-rock|
|Years active||1996 – early-21st century|
|Past members||Josh "The Bear" Browning, bass
Josh T. Pearson, vocals and guitar
Andy "The Boy" Young, drums
Lift to Experience was an American indie rock band from Denton, Texas, that formed in 1996 with vocalist and guitarist Josh T. Pearson, drummer Andy "The Boy" Young and bassist Josh "The Bear" Browning.
When the band performed at the South by Southwest festival in 2000, they impressed Simon Raymonde and Robin Guthrie so much that the duo decided to sign the band to their record label, Bella Union, that same day.
The band's characteristic sound comes from a solo guitar with heavy use of effects pedals and a modified Leslie speaker. The band's major work, the double-disc concept album The Texas-Jerusalem Crossroads, was released in 2001. The album's lyrics are replete with Biblical Christian imagery relating to the Second Coming of Christ and a professed love of Texas and the United States. The music features a multilayered Wall of Sound and feedback-driven aesthetic.
The band was not active as such for long. Pearson has pursued a solo career, while Young formed a project, Western Arms, with Elbow frontman Guy Garvey. Young now has a band, The Flowers of God, which released a four-song EP in September 2010. As of late 2011, Browning plays bass in Fort Worth, Texas-based shoegaze-styled band, Year of the Bear.
In 2016, Lift to Experience announced a reunion show to take place in June as part of the Guy Garvey-curated Meltdown Festival in London. It will be preceded by three warm-up gigs in Texas.
- Lift To Experience (1997) – EP
- Callin' Out to Jesus in the Middle of the Night (2000) – split 7" with The Autumns ("White Nights")
- The Texas-Jerusalem Crossroads (2001) – double album
- "These Are the Days" (2001) – CD single
- Sirota, Brent S. (June 21, 2001). "Lift to Experience – The Texas-Jerusalem Crossroads – Bella Union". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
- Chamy, Michael (May 31, 2002). "Cloud 9 and Rising – Denton's Lift to Experience Head for the Promised Land, with Gun in Hand". The Austin Chronicle. Retrieved February 24, 2014.