|City of license||Melbourne, Australia|
|Slogan||Melbourne's Positive Alternative|
|Frequency||89.9 MHz FM
DAB+ (2010– )
|First air date||19 December 2001|
|Format||Contemporary Christian music
Community Focus Radio
|Owner||Light FM Inc.|
LightFM (call sign: 89.9) is a Christian community radio station in Melbourne, Australia. It broadcasts on 89.9 FM (3TSC) from studios at 333 Mitcham Road, in Mitcham and a transmitter on Mount Dandenong.
The station's beginnings can be traced to 1977 when Melbourne Christian Radio was founded It conducted test broadcasts in 1980, 1981, and 1982, as 3MGR before purchasing air time on commercial station 3DB, which is now known as KIIS 101.1.
The organisation that runs LightFM was formerly called Triple Seven Communications. They conducted a three-month temporary broadcast in late 2001 and was informed in December of that year that they were successful for one of the four community licenses available from the Australian Broadcasting Authority, now the Australian Communications and Media Authority. LightFM began full-time permanent broadcasting on Sunday 1 December 2002.
Fairfax News on 3AW
Nine News Simulcast
An exclusive simulcast of the Nine News at 18:00 with Peter Hitchener and Alicia Loxley airs at 18:00 every night of the week, except if the Nine Network is covering the cricket or the NRL Grand Final. The newsreader for that night chats with LightFM every afternoon, previewing the bulletin at 18:00 hours.
The LightFM Careline is a supportive service for people that need prayer, an explanation of Christianity, or simply an understanding ear. Where requested callers can be referred to a local church. The Lord Mayor’s Charitable Fund has assisted with the operating costs of the Careline in 2003, 2004 and 2005.
LightFM is no longer simulcast on Digital Radio in Melbourne.
LightDigital, a station only broadcast on digital radio, was launched on 1 December 2011.
LightChristmas broadcasts every year from early December through to early January online. In 2014, for the first time, LightChristmas appeared as a 'pop up' digital radio station.
LightFM on-air team
The presenters of LightFM these include Lucy Holmes, Kel McWilliam, Dan Veling, MJ Want, Cam Want, Ruthie Clacy, Jimi Love, Clayton Bjelan, Anthony Laughton and Allan Martin, as well as Nine News Melbourne team.
LightFM has many full-time announcers employed at the radio station.
- 05:00-06:00 | Insight for Living & Focus On The Family
- 06:00-09:00 | Lucy and Kel
- 09:00-12:00 | Dan Veling
- 12:00-15:00 | MJ Want
- 15:00-18:00 | Cam and Ruthie
- 18:00-19:00 | Nine News Exclusive Simulcast
- 19:00-23:00 | Your Requests with Jimi Love
- 23:00-23:40 | Focus on the Family
- 23:40-00:00 | A Different Perspective with Berni Dymet
- 05:00-06:00 | Insight for Living & History Makers
- 06:00-08:00 | Best Of Lucy and Kel
- 08:00-10:00 | The Grandstanders with Craig Harper and Jane O'Brien
- 10:00-18:00 | Best Weekend Music Mix in Melbourne
- 18:00-19:00 | Nine News Exclusive Simulcast
- 19:00-00:00 | LightFM's Saturday Party Mix
- 05:00-06:00 | In Touch & Christianity Works
- 06:00-10:00 | Experience Church with Allan Martin
- 10:00-12:00 | Hot 25 Countdown with Liam Renton
- 12:00-18:00 | Best Weekend Music Mix in Melbourne
- 18:00-19:00 | 9 News Exclusive Simulcast
- 19:00-21:00 | In Conversation with Clayton
- 21:00-22:00 | Experience Church with Allan Martin
- 22:00-00:00 | Green Room with Cam Want
Spoken Word Programmes:
- Focus On The Family | Weekdays 05:30 & 23:00
- Insight for Living | Monday-Saturday 05:00
- A Different Perspective | Weeknights 23:40
- History Makers | Saturday 05:30
- In Touch | Sunday 05:00
- Christianity Works | Sunday 05:30
LightFM plays a wide array of music of both Christian and secular. Christian music on the station is generally a mixture of pop, modern rock, and gospel. These include songs from such artists as Capital Kings, Francesca Battistelli, Manic Drive, The Afters, and Citizen Way. LightFM plays up to 40% Christian music not including Christian songs from mainstream artists such as U2.
LightFM generally play a mix of adult contemporary music. This makes up the other 60% of music they play. This quite often results in the station playing songs from the Billboard 100 Adult Contemporary. These include songs by Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift, and One Direction. They also include music from the Top 40 Australia and United States singles charts. However, they still play a variety of pop and Soft rock songs from the 1990s and early 2000s.
- LightFM. "LightFM History". Retrieved 2007-05-07.
- "Allocation of four community radio broadcasting licences for Melbourne" (pdf). Australian Broadcasting Authority. p. 188. Retrieved 2007-05-07.
- "Community Radio Broadcasting Licences" (pdf). Australian Communications and Media Authority. 2006-12-19. p. 27. Retrieved 2007-05-07.