This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Studio album by|
|Released||November 28, 2006|
|Recorded||January – July 2006|
|Studio||Henson Recording Studios in Hollywood, California and at Southern Tracks Recording in Atlanta, Georgia|
|Singles from Light Grenades|
Light Grenades is the sixth studio album by alternative rock band Incubus, released on November 28, 2006 on Epic Records. The album sold 359,000 copies during its first week of release worldwide, and debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200, selling 165,000 copies in the U.S. in its first week; it is the band's first number one album. However, until November 20, 2016, Light Grenades held the dubious honor of having the title of the biggest drop from No. 1 in chart history, falling to number 37; it is the tenth largest as of January 2, 2019. The album only achieved Gold, breaking a string of Platinum records beginning with 1999's Make Yourself.
"A Kiss to Send Us Off" and "Anna Molly" made their live debut on VH1's Decades Rock: Live Tribute to the Pretenders on August 11, 2006, even though the songs were not featured in the program. The same two songs were also performed at Edgefest 2006 on September 30 at Tempe Beach Park, Arizona.
The songs "Punch Drunk" and "Look Alive" were recorded during the Light Grenades sessions, but were originally only available as bonus tracks on the Japanese edition of the album. Live versions have since seen release worldwide on the Look Alive live DVD. The studio versions of both songs are also on Monuments and Melodies.
Mike Einziger, Incubus' guitarist, commented in an interview with MTV that the album "sounds like 13 different bands playing 13 different songs... Every time we're about to start making a new album, I tell myself, 'Okay, this one's going to be cohesive,' and it never happens." For the most part, Light Grenades expands upon the sounds previously explored in 2004's A Crow Left of the Murder....
Other songs showcase a new direction for the band. For example, Brandon Boyd describes the curious recording technique behind "Paper Shoes": "There's a song called 'Paper Shoes' where Michael and I mic'd our bodies with ambient mics and did the percussion tracks pounding on our chests and skulls. The galloping rhythm is us pounding on our chests. It was really funny. We were trying so hard not to laugh because we were sitting there like cavemen beating our chests!"
When asked about the album title, frontman Brandon Boyd explained: "There's a song called that on the record and it felt like the most pertinent conceptual aspect of the album, the idea of throwing ideas at problems and the ideas explode with light and good results and intention on consciousness. So I started imagining imagery of students in different countries protesting and throwing Molotov cocktails with masks over their faces. But there's one brave student who runs up to the police line and, as opposed to throwing rocks or things that destroy, there's this concept of that one courageous, lonely student running up and throwing ideas and having them actually change things. It just seemed kind of a cool concept: the redefining of weaponry."
All tracks written by Incubus.
|2.||"A Kiss to Send Us Off"||4:16|
|7.||"Earth to Bella (Part I)"||2:28|
|8.||"Oil and Water"||3:50|
|9.||"Diamonds and Coal"||3:47|
|13.||"Earth to Bella (Part II)"||2:56|
|Japanese bonus tracks|
|iTunes bonus track|
|14.||"Anna Molly" (Acoustic)"||3:59|
|Best-Buy Pre-sale bonus disc|
|14.||"Anna Molly" (Live)"||3:55|
|16.||"Love Hurts" (Acoustic)"||3:57|
- Brandon Boyd – lead vocals, percussion, guitar
- Mike Einziger – lead guitar, Rhodes, string arrangements, bass guitar
- Jose Pasillas – drums
- Ben Kenney – bass guitar, vocals
- Chris Kilmore – turntables, Hammond B3, Moog Voyager, Rhodes, piano, Marxophone, theremin
- Brendan O'Brien – producer
- "Anna Molly" – was briefly available online on September 20. It was slated for release on October 16, and debuted at #19 on Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks chart. Anna Molly peaked at #1 on the Modern Rock Chart, at #4 on the Mainstream Rock Tracks Chart and at #66 on the Billboard Hot 100. The song is featured in the music video game Guitar Hero: On Tour.
- "Dig" is the second single from Light Grenades. The video for the single was chosen from a pool of applicants in a fan-film contest. The song is featured in the music video game Lego Rock Band.
- "Love Hurts" was released as the third single in some international markets. It was released as the fourth US single in October 2008, 16 months after "Oil and Water".
- "Oil and Water" was the third US single. It was released to radio stations on June 5, 2007.
- "Light Grenades" is used on the soundtrack of the Xbox 360 game Project Gotham Racing 4.
|Year||Chart||First Week Sales||Position|
|2006||Billboard Top 200||165,000||1|
|2006||"Anna Molly"||Billboard Hot 100||66|
|Modern Rock Tracks||1|
|Mainstream Rock Tracks||4|
|Billboard Pop 100||81|
|2007||"Dig"||Billboard Hot 100||94|
|Canadian Hot 100||72|
|Modern Rock Tracks||4|
|Mainstream Rock Tracks||17|
|Adult Top 40||17|
|"Oil and Water"||Modern Rock Tracks||8|
|Mainstream Rock Tracks||38|
|2008||"Love Hurts"||Modern Rock Tracks||1|
|Canada (Music Canada)||Gold||50,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||60,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Allmusic review
- "Reviews – Alternative Press". Archived from the original on 2007-10-13. Retrieved 2007-10-08.
- Blender review Archived September 30, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- "Light Grenades - EW.com".
- Foreman, Jon (7 December 2006). "Incubus – Light Grenades".
- "Music Reviews, Features, Essays, News, Columns, Blogs, MP3s and Videos – PopMatters".
- Rock Sound review[permanent dead link]
- "Light Grenades".
- Spin review Archived 2007-02-22 at the Wayback Machine
- Katie Hasty, "Incubus' 'Grenades' Ignite At No. 1", Billboard.com, December 6, 2006.
- Jeff Giles, "Bon Jovi’s ‘This House Is Not for Sale’ Takes Steep Tumble on Sales Charts". Ultimate Classic Rock, 2016-12-01
- Keith Caulfield, "A Tribe Called Quest Returns to No. 1 on Billboard 200 Chart After 20-Year Wait". Billboard, 2016-11-20
- "Top 200 Albums". Billboard. Retrieved 2017-01-21.
- Chris Harris, "Incubus Find Explosive Cure For Boredom: Light Grenades", MTV.com, August 1, 2006
- "Incubus-Earth to bella (live) pt.2". YouTube. 2009-04-02. Retrieved 2012-02-28.
- "Canadian album certifications – Incubus – Light Grenades". Music Canada.
- "British album certifications – Incubus – Light Grenades". British Phonographic Industry. Select albums in the Format field. Select Silver in the Certification field. Type Light Grenades in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "American album certifications – Incubus – Light Grenades". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH.