Light Surrounding You
|"Light Surrounding You"|
|Single by Evermore|
|from the album Real Life|
|Released||14 October 2006|
|Format||CD, Digital download|
|Producer(s)||Jon Hume, John Alagía|
|Evermore singles chronology|
"Light Surrounding You" is the second single by alternative rock band, Evermore, taken from their second studio album, Real Life (June 2006). It was written by Dann Hume, the group's drummer. The record is co-produced by Jon Hume. The song was released in October 2006 and peaked at No. 15 on the RIANZ Singles Chart in New Zealand and number one on the ARIA Singles Chart, making it Evermore's most successful single in Australia. It was the first single by a New Zealand artist to top the Australian charts since "How Bizarre" by OMC in 1996.
Dann Hume explained that the song is about “someone who had all the potential in the world but they didn’t believe in themselves”. The music video features Australian actress Emily Browning. The song was used as a tribute to the leaving of Home and Away's long-term character Sally, portrayed by Kate Ritchie, in the 2006 season finale. It was earlier used for the Channel Ten series premiere of American show, Jericho. In New Zealand it was used in TV One's on-air identity package.
The song was released on 14 October 2006 from their second album, Real Life, which was earlier released on the Warner label in 8 July 2006. The single peaked at No. 15 on the RIANZ Singles Chart in New Zealand. Drummer Dann Hume composed much of the music for the song on a piano. It reached No. 1 on the ARIA Singles Chart in their adopted country of Australia. It was the second song released from the album; whilst "Light Surrounding You" became Evermore's first number-one single in Australia, their first single "Running" remained their highest-charting New Zealand hit.
|CD single / iTunes EP|
|1.||"Light Surrounding You"||Dann Hume ||3:55|
|2.||"Waves on the Sun"||Jon Hume||4:05|
|3.||"All Day and All of the Night"||Ray Davies||3:25|
|4.||"Sun Down"||Dann Hume Jon Hume||2:50|
- Official Version:
- Channel Seven Version: Channel Seven released the song as a tribute video for Kate Ritchie's character Sally Fletcher.
- Jon Hume – vocals, lead and rhythm guitars
- Peter Hume – piano, keyboards, bass guitar, backing vocals
- Dann Hume – drums, rhythm and acoustic guitars, backing vocals
|Australian ARIA Singles Chart||1|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||15|
|Australia||14 October 2006||Warner||CD, Digital download||5101165472|
- "The light surrounding you on New Zealand's ONE". Retrieved 14 May 2010.
- Webb, Dan (20 July 2006). "Interviews". Xdafied. Archived from the original on 14 June 2007. Retrieved 20 November 2012.
- Barry Hill, Rebecca (26 July 2010). "Evermore Is in the Running". The New Zealand Herald. APN News & Media. Retrieved 20 November 2012.
- Hung, Steffen. "Evermore — 'Running'". New Zealand Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung). Retrieved 20 November 2012.
- Hung, Steffen. "Evermore — 'Running'". Australian Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung). Retrieved 20 November 2012.
- "'Light Surrounding You' at APRA search engine". Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA). Retrieved 23 November 2012. User may have to click on 'Search again' and enter track's title.